Shunamite Diet for Pet Rats, a Recipe

Hello! When I bought our pet rats almost a year ago I have learned so, so, sooooo much more than I thought I would! There is a whole world of information on the internet now :heart: I quickly started making my own rat food mix since learning that commercially made “blocks” are possibly not the best. I am not an expert but I wanted to share my “recipe” to show just how easy it is for anyone on the fence or for anyone wanting to know more :slight_smile: I try to follow the “Shunamite diet” but it was developed in the UK and depending on where in the world you live there are different food mixes available…, I joined a facebook group based in the US to learn more and my mix is based off the information I learned in that group. If you’re interested in this diet please do your own research! This is just how I do it :smile:

Base mix

• 3 scoops Cavalor Horse Muesli
  • 4 scoops Pigeon Food Mix
  • 1 scoop Dry Split Peas
  • 3 scoops Straight Grains Mix
    – Brown Rice, Popping Corn, Millet, Barley, Bulgar, Rolled Oats

5 scoops Processed Gains Mix

• Dry Pasta
  • Cereals with 5grams or less of sugar
  • Crackers

Protein Mix

• 1 scoop Fish Based Dog Food
  • 1/2 scoop Dry Red Lentils
  • 1/2 scoop Dried Meal Worms (picture blurred to protect the squeamish)

1 scoop Dehydrated Vegetables Mix

• Kale
  • Yellow Squash
  • Tomato
  • Mushrooms
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Dandelion

1 scoop Oily Seed Mix

• Sunflower Seeds
  • Acorn Squash Seeds
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Sesame Seeds

Then it’s time to mix!

From unmixed (blurred because of meal worms)

To a beautiful mix of colors and textures!

And here are our happy rats :heart: :heart: :heart:

Pumpkin is always the first to come for food! :rofl:

Scruffy taking his time to pick the best piece :yum:

and TV woke from his nap to get a snack :kissing_heart:

We scatter feed but I couldn’t resist getting some pictures to share :innocent: We also give them fresh food but that’s a whole other recipe! :sweat_smile: Thanks for looking! :grin:

17 Likes

That’s great, your pets eat a better balanced diet than some people I know :grinning:
They are lucky that they live with someone who takes the time to learn what is good for them and makes sure they get it.

2 Likes

This is AWSOME! Such happy ratties. :smile:

1 Like

WOW! That’s a lot of ingredients and it shows just how important it is to consider a balanced diet for our pet friends. And all your little buddies look so cute coming to the “buffet” in your hand!

1 Like

I love that you have a rat named TV. Was that ds’s idea?

1 Like

Yes! Hahaha… he already has two stuffed animals named TV (a seahorse and one of the three babies)… Some of his other stuffed animals are Poster, Ceiling, and Carpet… :joy:

5 Likes

That’s hysterical!

1 Like

Your rats are so cute. Good for you for making their food!
My sister used to have pet rats. so friendly and social!

1 Like

I would love to know what your recipe is for their fresh food.

Thanks!

Hi :smile: Welcome to Lettuce Craft!

For the fresh food I follow this guide to make this document:

A typical mix for me would be:

50% (5 parts) - kale and bok choy with a little basil or mint
20% (2 parts) - bell peppers and tomatoes with a little bit of carrots
10% (1 part) - canned beans, usually kidney and garbanzo, and peas (they love beans!)
10% (1 part) - fruit, apples, bananas, berries
10% (1 part) - broccoli, cooked squash, mushrooms, cooked onion, corn, zucchini, canned pumpkin…

Thanks for asking :grin:

4 Likes

Just curious Reinikka, using your dry mix and your fresh mix, how often are you feeding fresh vs dry mix? I am super new to rats. Currently I typically feed my rats their dry mix 2x a day. I am doing fresh 2x a week and only giving dry once that day (because thats what I read).

There is a lot of conflicting information out there so I don’t know if I’m doing what’s best, bur the rats seem happy :sweat_smile: I give them the dry mix every day and I used to give fresh food almost every day. I haven’t been giving them fresh as often lately because life has been crazy busy for us but we still give them fresh food throughout the week (just not measured/mixed) as we have leftovers or “scraps”. If I plan on giving them a full serving of fresh food I will give them a little less dry food that day, but mostly I don’t worry about it. None of them are overweight with the way we’ve been feeding them.