Small painting in a large art project

I joined the Global Roots Mural Mosaic project. I bought a set of 3 tiles, actually 4” x 4” canvases. My mom, my sister, and I each painted a tile with the included paints which were a specific color palette. This is maybe version 5 or 6.

Today we visited the completed mural in Escondido, CA.

And a goofy family shot of us pointing to our tiles’ locations.

Note: My younger sister painted a tile for the Northeast mural so she’s the photographer.

27 Likes

Such a great thing to participate in. My hubby and I painted a tile when our city in Alberta celebrated its 100th anniversary, we are going back this summer and will see the completed project for the first time.

4 Likes

This is so cool!

4 Likes

Amazing! What a great project, and a nice bonding experience for the family as well. Both the small painting and the larger work are beautiful.

4 Likes

What a cool project and a fun family memory!

2 Likes

I love this! What a cool project to be a part of! :smiley:

4 Likes

This is AWESOME! Love the photo with you showing the scale.

2 Likes

I absolutely LOVE, love, LOVE this! What a fun thing to participate in! Is it outdoors? Won’t it get ruined? You have to preserve that!
I also love your tile. Did they give you a theme for your tiles too?

1 Like

This is so neat and your painting is such a wonderful addition! What a fun way for artists of all skill level to get their art ‘out there!’ How great that you were able to go and see the completed mural in person, considering it’s a ways from San Francisco!

I drive by Escondido all the time so I looked on their website to see where this is displayed - I really like that they give you the option of clicking on the individual tiles in the mural to see each one. I’m thinking a little detour will be needed the next time I drive to San Diego!

2 Likes

We only sent photos of our tiles - the actual mural is made of? I don’t know. As for theme, no. You are just given a set of acrylic paints and a main color. I think so they could pixelate the large photo of the tree and slot our small paintings to make the larger picture.

Thanks all for the nice comments. There were some tiles made by children and some by real artists. Some favorites by other participants.

9 Likes

:heart: :artist: :art: Congrats! Your amazing Small Painting in a Large Art Project is a Featured Project this week! :art: :artist: :heart:

2 Likes

What a cool idea! I love that it was a family affair. The hearts just make it oh so special too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. :relaxed:

1 Like

What a fabulous project! I love your tile!

1 Like

Hard to believe all those individual tiles were put together to make the larger painting! The process is fascinating to me…it would be great to see all of the individual tiles…each unique and yet all brought together to create a greater picture of our world.

2 Likes

About 10 years ago or more, this was a fad. This is a photo of my preschool’s playground, comprised of teeny tiny photos of kids and staff. So similar idea to the murals.

3 Likes