Small Stair Landing Deck From Scraps

In another attempt to help minimize the grit and gravel that ends up on our floors, I decided to make a small landing at the bottom of our deck stairs. This deck is how you reach our front door, so it gets the most traffic in and out of the house.

It’s built mostly from leftovers and scraps from rebuilding and expanding the front deck in 2024.

I used pieces of 6x6 pressure-treated lumber that were cutoffs of the posts under the deck for the sides and bought just two 2x6 pressure-treated boards to make the “box.” I used butyl tape on the top of all of those to help diminish the chance for rot to develop of the years. Finally, I stained it black to match the stair jacks and deck trim.

I was able to built this in my shop during our recent rainy weather and then set it atop some concrete pavers that were securely set at the bottom of the stairs last year.

I had sorted scraps and leftover pieces of the composite decking material to come up with good coverage and had TheMisterT help me set up a cutting station near there after the weather cleared up. I was able to get it all attached in the morning, then in the afternoon I painted the cut edges black to match the edges on the deck and stairs.

I’ve thoroughly cleaned the heavy-duty doormat that has set on the pavers and added it to this to help catch sandy dirt and pebbles before being tracked onto the deck and also into the house. It was drying in the sun when I took pics.

I’d like to add quite a bit of packable gravel around the whole area to keep rain from splashing dirt up onto the sides of the platform and stairs, as well as those planters.

At first the little platform scared our “little” dog :roll_eyes:, but after adding the (familiar) mat back and helping her past it, she was comfortable going up the stairs. It took a few more trips for her to be comfortable going down the stairs and she would go off the side. What goes on in their little dog-brains?

14 Likes

This is so impressive! It blends seamlessly with the stairs, and I’d swear it was original to them.

3 Likes

I would never have known that this wasn’t all done at once if you hadn’t said it was a new build! Fantastic!

3 Likes

What a seamless and good looking addition! As someone who lives in the desert and is always dealing with dirt, dust, and debris I can appreciate the desire to eliminate it before it ever enter the house. I hope this does the trick!

Also, what a great way to put those scraps to good use!

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I was so glad I was able to make it look like it belonged and was planned from the get-go! There are certainly wonkinesses, but think you’d have to be looking for mistakes to find them.

2 Likes

Looks great and definitely will work to keep dirt from trraveling!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Precious anecdote about your little dog. Very nice looking landing deck and a good solution to reduce tracked-in dirt. I like the style of your entire deck, especially the nuts on the fronts of the posts. Stylish!

2 Likes

Thank you! Those little covers come with the system and cover the cut ends of the braided cables. We wish they were the same finish as the posts, but overall we’re very pleased with the deck. I’m just glad it’s composite decking and aluminum railing, because I never want to build another one!

2 Likes

It looks so professional and perfect! You did such a wonderful job on those stairs.

1 Like

Thank you SO MUCH!

1 Like

It came out great! You’ve done a truly stunning job on your deck and all the accessories my Friend.

Awww, thank you! We love it out there and it’s a little sad that all-day outdoor living season is coming to an end.