Snail Hoop

I made this snail hoop for @ilovesnaills in the Go Bananas Swap.

I had so much fun making it! I got the idea from this pin of a rock mosaic:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504121752042130965/

Snail

I simplified the design a bit, and cut out the brown felt outline with all the little “windows.” Then came the fun part of choosing fabrics to fill them!

I decided to go for a kind of earth tone pallet for the body part of the snail, and chose a bunch of yellow/green/brown fabrics from my stash. This was such a great project for using tiny bits and scraps, but I also spent a lot of time choosing EXACTLY the piece of bigger fabrics that I want to cut out and have peek through those windows, and getting them at just the angle I wanted, etc. I sewed each one onto the back of the felt separately, before attaching it to the hoop, which was a bit of a challenge because it was so floppy that way, but I wasn’t quite sure how else to do it since I was choosing pieces as I went along. I did the shell the same way, but with blue/purple/pink colors.

After all the fabric bits were attached, I sewed the whole thing down to the hoop, and picked out a few fun buttons to add some finishing touches. I know snail eyes are actually on the tops of their stalks, but I thought this eye just looked so cute!

Here are a ton of progress pics:

And last, here it is with the little snail feltie I sent along with it:

I’ve gotta admit, it was REALLY hard to mail this hoop away! I absolutely fell in love with it while I worked on it! I definitely want to make something similar for myself someday, perhaps a turtle or a fish, using different fabrics for shell panels or scales!

20 Likes

This is amazing!

2 Likes

Cute!

I love finding/inventing a new technique!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing how you did this! I love the mosaic look and what a perfect one for your partner…

3 Likes

This is so cool! I am in love. Thanks for sharing how you made it!

1 Like

I love everything about this!! It came out so awesome. I love that you transferred a rock mosaic into your medium. The buttons are the perfect touch!

2 Likes

this is great

1 Like

You did such a wonderful job!

1 Like

Absolutely STUNNING. Thank you for sharing your technique. I loved seeing your process.

1 Like

I love him! And I agree, the progress images were super helpful. I really want to do a fabric mosaic like this now… Planning, planning… :smiley:

1 Like

The snail turned out so cute. I love how much care and thought you put into the fabric choices. I’d say it paid off!

1 Like

So colorful and fun!

1 Like

Ooh, I love the stained glass technique!

1 Like

I love this!
Thanks for sharing images of the process :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is super cute! Love me a stained glass snail. :smiley:

1 Like

I absolutely love this felted stained glass! Well done, roler!

1 Like