Soda-Cans-and-Tin Birds

I’ve been playing with metal lately and ran across a tutorial on YouTube, showing how to make a bird out of soda cans and a tin.

Here is the first bird, that follows the tutorial exactly.

Then I tried one where I altered the pattern.

I think I actually like the first one better, but I still might try again, altering the pattern differently.

Here is a link to the tutorial.

Edited to add link to pattern and materials list.

22 Likes

These are so fun! I love the way you utilized the patterns on the cans.

1 Like

Super cool! Genius to make the hangers from pull tabs!

2 Likes

Beautiful! I bet they’d make a cool mobile too. Happy little flock of tin birds spinning away.

2 Likes

Awesome upcycle! I agree, I’d love to see a flock!

1 Like

Great birds!
I recognize a grommet, a rivet, and a snap…

1 Like

Whoa, these are so cool!!

1 Like

Yes, she uses a rivet at the middle, and grommets for the eye and tail. But I had trouble with the grommets, so I tried simple snaps which seem to work fine.

These are so cool!

1 Like

This is so cute and I love the little snap for the eye!

2 Likes

This is a brilliant upcycle! The pop tab hanger is a great idea.

1 Like

:star: Congratulations! Your awesome project is one of this week’s featured projects! :star:

Aw, thanks!

So charming! I would love to have a whole flock of these.

1 Like

These are so great! I love the shape of the second one! The fussy cutting to get the shapes from thr cans is superb.

1 Like

These are so, so fabulous! The colours of the cans you used work so well. Thanks for the tutorial link, I may have to add this to my never-ending list of projects. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a fun upcycle! It makes me wish I hadn’t recycled my stash of Arizona iced tea cans. I might have to buy some fancy cans and have other people drink them for me :crazy_face:

I just watched the video, and tried to go to her website for the pattern, but it doesn’t seem to be working. Do you have the direct link to the pattern?

And, now I want a pop rivet tool…

1 Like

Oh, no! It looks like her website has been hacked or something. I’m not able to access the pattern any more, either. I hope I saved a copy of the pattern and materials list. If I did, I’ll try to share it here.

Update:
I cobbled this together from the pieces I’d already cut. Taped it to grid paper that has 5 squares per inch; hopefully this will give you some idea. The picture is not perfectly square, but her pattern pieces weren’t perfectly symmetrical, either. So hopefully, good enough for anyone who might want to try to make a bird.

Originally printed from the non-hacked version of Jenny Fillius dot com: “Tool List and Pattern for Tin Birds”.

Edited on 4/25/2023 to add link to Jenny Fillius web site/original pattern and materials list.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like