Soldered Pendants

My husband bought me a soldering iron for my birthday recently. I have never used one but have wanted to for some time. Once the other bits arrived in the mail (that I ordered to make it all happen, i.e. copper tape, a solid stand…) I got to work. These are my first pieces. I need to learn to create a smoother finished surface but this is a good start. I think that crystal pendants are probably the gateway drug into soldering things. My end goal is to be able to successful create elements to use in my ceramic pieces.

26 Likes

Wow, those look awesome! I’m jealous of your skills.

2 Likes

Thank you. I think it will get really interestingly challenging when I try to make a hinged door. :wink:

1 Like

Very pretty! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is very cool! I love the look of soldered jewelry :heart:

1 Like

Really neat! What a cool tool to have!

1 Like

These are great and I love the rough look of it! Great work!!

1 Like

These are so lovely!

1 Like

Haha! Nice gateway work. Can’t wait to see where it leads. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Me either. :wink:

1 Like

Soldering is on my list, as well. I have the tool, and the spiral solder, but have yet to dip into it. GAH! But pendants ARE the gateway! ha! so it’s nice to see.

:metal:

1 Like

After a bit more research I quickly learned that you also need something to pull the fumes away. Fortunately there are lots of DIY tutorials. They can be made pretty inexpensively.

2 Likes

That’s a great tip, thank you! I would have noticed it after I started and then made rash decisions.

1 Like

This is really interesting (and beautiful). I’m trying to figure out how the crystal doesn’t fall out. Do you need to drill a hole through the crystal and run metal or wire through it? Is there an adhesive?

1 Like

They turned out great! Now go forth and solder all things :smiley:

2 Likes

You use copper tape. It’s pretty inexpensive to get. It is sticky on one side. Wrap it where you want the solder to go then tear it off. Then burnish the copper bit. These crystals were a strand of beads from the local craft store so they do have a hole in them but I don’t really use that. Then, with a brush designated for this only you brush on flux all over the copper tape. The flux helps attach the solder to the copper tape. There are a lot of tutorials on line if you are curious to see the process. It’s been a lot of fun learning it.

2 Likes

I’m going to use this in my defense when my husband starts questioning what I am soldering. lol

2 Likes

There is so much to learn! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I’m excited to see how you will continue to develop this to include ceramics. :smiley:

1 Like

LOL @ that tidbit. Awesome work! Many years ago I soldered a necklace using copper and nickel (no crystals)- loved doing it. Your birthday gift will get lots of use, and so thoughtful of your DH to get it for you. It’s great that you are following your passions!

1 Like

You might need more practice (I know I do with my soldering) but overall I think they look great. Good luck with practicing

1 Like