Spamtastic Top

Hi you crafty bunch!

So my friend Spammy (also known as Spamalamadingdong, Spam… also Sam by some more… normal people :crazy_face:) would love to get into making clothes for herself, or at least to be able to adapt pieces she has that don’t fit correctly. So we figured we’d have a couple of crafting days and I’d help her make a top with the fabrics of her choice!

She had wanted to have the lining done in a teal stretch satin, with a lace or crochet navy blue top layer and sleeves, but unfortunately the satin that came wasn’t stretch :rage: so we decided to make it an overlay top instead (using the bodice lining pattern pieces, not the outer) so that she can wear it over any colour camisole!

I’ve gotta say that whilst the crochet fabric looks and feels lovely, it’s a pain in the *rse to sew with as you can imagine, so unfortunately I ended up having to make the majority of the top as it just wasn’t a fabric for beginner sewists, but hopefully it was still an education to a certain extent!

The fabric held well enough together to just sew together as is for the seams, but for the gathering I had to sew it onto ribbon, then with the overlocker I lopped the ribbon part off as I sewed it onto the bodice and sleeves, and I used a ribbed black ribbon on the neckline.

I made a couple of minor alterations to the patterns to suit Spammy, I lowered the waist so it would sit closer to wear she usually wears her trousers (rather than more of an underbust waist), and made the fluttery sleeves half the length so she wouldn’t drape them in everything :grin: (altho thankfully I think she is less accident prone and messy than I am…)

Anyways, I’m pleased to say that she loves it even more now it’s finished, and she can’t wait to wear it out!! :star_struck:

:boom: We used this stretch lace from Minerva and I used the Lively Top by George and Ginger

Hope you like! :sunglasses:
Loops xx

22 Likes

This turned out great! And your alterations really suit her!

3 Likes

Aww thanking you, I love how it came out in the end and I think it’s really flattering on her :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is really flattering on her and could be so versatile. Worn over so many colors of camisoles, but also over tops with almost any sleeve length.

2 Likes

Very cute! And I love your photos! You are two of a kind! Such sparkly personalities!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grin:

3 Likes

Cute! Love the pics! So sassy!

1 Like

Great top!
That first picture made me think of Irma la Douce!

1 Like

Another awesome piece of clothing. I also love that you are sharing your talents and teaching others, even if you did the majority of it this time. Hopefully, Spammy got the bug and will continue. We would love to see her on here too!

3 Likes

It looks great on her!

1 Like

It’s fantastic!

1 Like

The top turned out great! I agree it’s really flattering on Spammy and I love how pleased she looks in the photos. Wonderful work!

1 Like

great looking top! and I love the action shots!

1 Like

Oh I wish she would, it would be great to get someone else into making clothes! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: She’s more into cross stitch and knitting, but she wants me to come over and help her make a bunch of alterations to her clothes, so hopefully she’ll at least get into doing more alterations herself then and perhaps even upcycling items!

2 Likes

She can add her cross stitch and knitting here!

2 Likes

Congrats! Your Spamtastic Top is one of this week’s featured projects. You are amazing!

2 Likes

Very nicely done–she looks pleased with the lovely final piece. I love those pops of hot pink!

1 Like

:heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Simply gorgeous, the top and the model.

1 Like