Spider Garland

This mashup of a paperdoll chain and an accordion card is easy to assemble once cut.

Cut, fold, slot together!

Tutorial

Click to download file set: Silhouette Studio, DXF, SVG (how to use my SVG files in Cricut Design Space).

Open file and check the size. It should be 11" wide. Resize if needed.

(After folding and assembly, the finished length of one set of spiders about 5-6". The next picture shows one set.)

So, to give you an idea of how many to make, I needed two sets glued together between each arm of my chandelier (10 sets for a 5 light chandelier).

This is two sets glued together, top view.

Cut out your spider sets. I like to use two slightly different shades of card stock.

Notice that in each set there is a chain of spider with slots in their heads, and a chain with slots in their bodies. These slide together.

Accordion fold the head-slot spider chain, folding approximately down the vertical center line of each web. I found it wanted to fold just to one side of the center post. That’s fine!

Set it down with the left-hand end spider’s head down and slot facing down . It is in the shape of an M.

Hold the body-slot spider chain with the left-hand end spider’s head facing down so its slot is facing up . Accordion fold it so the folds go the opposite way – a W.

Slot together all of the spiders, head slot to body slot.

When slotted together properly, you will be able to fold the entire chain flat.

To connect sets together, overlap and glue together the webs on the ends.

You can leave the webs on the ends of your completed chain or snip them off.

14 Likes

That looks amazing, wow!

Very cool!

I LOVE THIS!! My big paper cutter should do well with these. Hmmm skulls would be nice too

wow, how cool!
and free files, thank you so much!
I don’t have a paper cutter, but I can adapt SVG files for the 3D printer.

2 hours later…I have a file to print! It’s a single spider (the full file is too big for my printer. oooh, I could do a mini garland, didn’t think of that. Back to tinkercad!)

3 Likes

Watch your slot width if you adjust the size.

1 Like

Good point, especially since the print is much thicker than paper. I remembered the issue with the singleton spider (which is printing now), but didn’t change the garland file.

1 Like

I think this is just the right amount of spider for me. Thanks for the file!

5 Likes

This is webtacular!

1 Like

This is fabulous

Now that I look at the garland it occurs to me that each slotted-together spider ends up with 16 legs ! Ha ha, oopsie.

2 Likes

They are 2 spider dancing! Or doing something else… :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Pushups

1 Like

You guys crack me up! And may I add “making the beast with two backs”… which even sounds a little bit Halloween-ish! Thanks, Mr. Shakespeare! :grin:

@Bunny1kenobi aka pushups! :0

1 Like

Exactly!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: