Spider, spider, on the wall

I made this little glittery spider for @AIMR for the ongoing ornament swap. She like insects and while spiders are not technically insects, they do hang out with them quite a bit…and invite them into their webs! She is made from beads, wire, and my mom’s old jewelry. The abdomen is part of an earring and her body comes from a necklace or bracelet. Twigs from the yard and a bit of silver embroidery web.

I forgot to add that there is a legend of the Christmas Spider it is an Eastern European folktale which explains the origin of tinsel on Christmas trees. It is most prevalent in Western Ukraine, where small ornaments in the shape of a spider are traditionally a part of the Christmas decorations and bring good luck.

19 Likes

Very pretty!

If a spider can be beautiful, this bejeweled one certainly is! Very impressed!

The twigs were so delicate that I thought they were wire at first! What a perfect bead for the body as well…which is why we keep EVERYTHING! lol

1 Like

Wow, lush and gorgeous! Hubster would draw the line at spiders on the tree (isn’t there a legend about that?), maybe I’ll adapt your design for earrings he’ll hate.

How awesome! Plus, the family history is lovely. I especially like how her delicate little feet wrap around the web. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

That is so pretty! I love that you used jewelry to make it.

Such a fancy and dainty spider! I love her story.

1 Like

She’s beautiful!

She’s so pretty!

Sparkly and lovely :heart::spider:

It looks so pretty and elegant! I didn’t think of spiders for ornaments but now I wish I had.

I added the Legend of the Christmas Spider info to the first post:
Legend of the Christmas Spider is an Eastern European folktale which explains the origin of tinsel on Christmas trees. It is most prevalent in Western Ukraine, where small ornaments in the shape of a spider are traditionally a part of the Christmas decorations.

1 Like

I love spiders made of wire! I have a few around my house. The tinsel story is one of my favorites, along with the pickle. LOL! I love how lush and regal this looks. Beautiful!

1 Like

Love it!