Spring Bird

I did a personal/unofficial swap with @Immaculata, who has been hosting the Prairie Schooler swap. The style is simple with very little backstitching needed to make the cross stitches look like what they are supposed to look like.

I really didn’t like any of the patterns I already had and wanted to use stash so I picked out this little bird design I had in my collection. It is a Satsuma design. I have a turtle and a cat in this same line, but a bird seemed more “spring-like”. I am really lax in numbering my thread colors so I basically had to wing it. I picked similar colors and probably skipped a few colors if I didn’t have them or added additional colors if I ran out. I used three or four different blues, yellows and oranges. :grin:

Since @Immaculata had no preference as to whether the piece was finished or not, I was just going to mail it flat to her. However, while packing, I stumbled upon a nearly perfectly matched yarn!!

I decided to crochet a frame for it. It is a simple round shape. I crocheted into the back stitch of the last round to curve the circle and then did two rows of single stitches followed by a row of slip stitch.

I glued some batting to a piece of cardboard and then stitched the piece in back so it would stay taut (thank goodness the back doesn’t show!!). I then used rainbow thread to attach the crochet to the front. Pretty easy, actually, and one of my favorite ways to make a lightweight frame.

Click on the link to see a better picture taken by @Immaculata and to tag the gallery for all of the other pieces that are part of the official swap!

Thanks for looking!

19 Likes

OMG this is, ok the piece itself is beautiful but that finish is AMAZING! Look at your perfect circles, come on now. Wow.

2 Likes

That sweet little bird with the flowers is so cute and perfect for spring! And your crochet frame? WOW! What a clever frame solution! So homey and resourceful; the yarn looks dyed-to-match.

1 Like

It’s gorgeous! I’m so happy to be the new owner of this work of art. The crochet frame feels very, very sturdy, and the yarn is a perfect match.

1 Like

Mostest Sweet Tweet

2 Likes

This is beautiful! That backing is absolutely inspired.

1 Like

I love this finishing method! What a great project!

1 Like

Beautiful! You picked the perfect yarn to back it with, too.

1 Like

This is so sweet!

1 Like

This is so pretty, and the finish is amazing!!

That is gorgeous! I love the colors.

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful stitching…and that crochet frame is genius!!!

1 Like

Lovely! The frame is absolutely perfect!

1 Like