Spring Stripes Maxi Shirtdress

This is the third time I’ve made this pattern, and I try something new every time. I’m pretty happy with how this came out, but it is just a tad too big, still. I’ll go down a size the next go-round.

The fabric is a cotton/elastane stretch twill, sort a mid-weight fabric with a decent drape. Not something I’d normally choose for myself, but it was on clearance (I think I paid about $4/yard) and the colorway isn’t unflattering.

Alterations to the pattern include a narrow shoulder adjustment, shortening the bodice and sleeves, lengthening the knee-length skirt to a maxi, and adjusting the button spacing.

I ordered a white belt to wear with it, but that hasn’t arrived yet (it’s otherwise identical to the one in the picture). Not too bad for a ‘wearable muslin.’

It looks cute with a jean jacket and a pair of trainers, too.

20 Likes

now that describes lovely fabric…
Perfect for a muslin!

1 Like

I really like the overall look. Lovely job!

1 Like

Thank you!

Nice! I love how versatile this type of dress it. It’s probably a very comfortable item of clothing, but the length, collar and belt make it look pretty “dressed up”. You can wear it around the house but also for more formal occasions.

1 Like

Cute! I love it with the jacket - so springy!

1 Like

Thanks!

I think this one falls closer to dressed-up than around-the-house for one reason: the sleeves. (Okay, two reasons: if I’m home and no one is coming over, I’m in loungewear.) They don’t allow for a full range of motion because of how long the cap is. Definitely need to modify the sleeve or drop it in future iterations. I was planning on making this again in chambray and in linen, both sleeveless, for summer.

2 Likes

I always admire when someone makes clothes. This is so cute and I love how you styled it.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

So cute! This is a very timeless pattern, and it looks very comfy!

3 Likes

Thanks! It is comfortable.

2 Likes

I thought, “How cute!” Then you added the jacket and took it next level. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Oh that’s a shame about the sleeves! I always want to be the person that wears loungewear everywhere, but then I think of the mailman or the neighbours who might ring the doorbell and the garbage that might have to be taken out and I just can’t face that wearing fancy PJs. Mr. Imma says it’s dumb, but I was taught to dress up even for grocery shopping. But I imagine that if you live very rurally and don’t have an actual farm, the amount of people appearing on your doorstep unexpectedly is low.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m trying to create a capsule wardrobe of mostly handmade clothes that’s classic and coordinated…for those rare times I leave the house. I’m such a hermit these last few years. :person_shrugging:

1 Like