Squircle bag-crochet

I made this bag as a gift bag for a swap but its just so darn cute! Made with 13 circles in a square (hence:Squircle)

Make 13:
J hook

Size: 4 1/2"

Directions:
Rnd 1: Ch 3, 12 dc in 3rd ch from hook. Join with a sl st to 1st dc. (12 dc)

Rnd 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in each dc around. Join as before. (24 dc)

Rnd 3: (Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same dc. *Ch 1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc. Ch 1, skip next 2 dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next dc. Repeat from * 2 more times. Ch 1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc. Ch 1, join with a sl st to top of beginning ch 3.

Rnd 4: Sl st over to ch 2 space, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same space. *(ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space) 2 times. Ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in corner ch 2 space. Repeat from * 2 more times. (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space) 2 times. Ch 1, join as before. Fasten off.

Layout in this diagram and join using your favorite method. I simply single crocheted them together with a contrasting yarn

Fold along lines and sew side seams together in same manner you joined the squares

Now for the handles
Starting in a valley of 2 joining squares SC in each stitch until you reach a peak. Chain 70 and attach to other peak. Continue SCing down square across valley and up the other side of the back of the bag SC 70 and reattach to other peak of next square. Contine crocheting down to the begininning of handle stitches. Continue single crocheting for a total of 3 revolutions around. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Now you can stuff it with goodies and candy!

25 Likes

oh thank you…I have always loved this style bag and have just the right Halloween colors!

1 Like

Oh that’s great! I love your colour choices too :smiley:

1 Like

I saw that you made this for the Halloween swap and it has 13 panels. That’s awesome!

3 Likes

I love your bag! It reminds me a bit of the Inga bag that was so popular some time ago, but I think yours is made with fewer squares. I like the circle in a square block, and squircle is a perfect name for it!

1 Like

Thanks for including the folding diagram!

1 Like

Awesome! I have the bag you made me last year and love to use it library books and other goodies. You are so talented.

1 Like

That makes me so happy! I love making functional things

Super cute, and I love the diagram you showed. :smiley:

1 Like

I love the bright colors! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. This is fabulous!

1 Like

This is adorable! Thanks for the tutorial. I’ve added it to the list of crochet patterns & tutorials here on LC.

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! I love this so much that I’m adding this to my swapping wish list. This bag is the coolest.

1 Like

Looks great! Now I will have to try making a squircle!

1 Like

Isn’t it great??? And it’s ALLLLL Mine :blush:

1 Like