Stained Glass Potion Bottle

I have wanted to do stained glass forever. I finally found a local studio, called Temporary Reality, that has classes and signed up for one with a friend. We got to pick our design and I chose a potion bottle. We did everything from picking out our glass, all the way through to cutting, grinding, shaping, soldering it all together, and polishing it up at the end.

I chose a clear green with some ripple for the top part of the bottle, an opaque bright acid green for the potion itself, and a really cool variegated brown for the cork.

The transparent green means it picks up whatever is behind it…and still looks cool when backlit.

A bajillion process photos:


picking out glass



Tracing and cutting the design.


After grinding so all the edges meet.


Copper tape added


Solder time!


U-channel lead outer edge added (but not soldered)


All solder added, jump rings attached, and chain added.

I loved making my potions bottle and definitely want to make more stained glass pieces in the future. I have everything at home I need to do stained glass, except a grinder. So maybe!

15 Likes

Nice job! I love your design. It looks much more complex because of the color changes. That acid green is so fabulous!

My husband used to do stained glass. I know he didn’t have a grinder but used a file that required lots of elbow grease. He had such pretty glass…the variety is amazing. Have fun with your new hobby!

2 Likes

It came out beautifully! I love your color choices. And heck yeah for taking a class in a new medium!

3 Likes

What a great finished piece! And how nice that you got to take the class and learn a new skill - and with a friend! I’m glad that you provided the two different photos that show how different backgrounds change the look of the piece, that’s really neat. I also really enjoyed seeing the process pics and learning more about the process in general. I’m looking forward to seeing you create more in this medium!

3 Likes

It turned out so cool! And just in time for mad scientist season!

2 Likes

Omg I’m jealous! It’s really neat. I love the glass you chose and all of it.

1 Like

Learning stained glass is on my bucket list! So glad (and jealous) that you got to take a class!! :blush:

1 Like

Such a cool piece! It turned out wonderfully!

1 Like

I love your design! Now I want to take a class…

1 Like

This turned out awesome! What a fun lesson!

I’ve been wanting to try a pottery making glass but I can’t find one. :sob:

1 Like

@AIMR - thank you! I’ll have to see if I can find some of those files. That sounds much more reasonable for the tiny bit of use I’d be doing.

@TheMistressT - thank you! And isn’t every season mad scientist season? :joy:

@Sockfullofchalk - 1. Awesome username! 2. Thank you! The studio where I made the piece provides the designs. They do really cool work.

@MistressJennie, @AudiobookLover, @RagingSloth, @Bunny1kenobi, @HeroicHatchling, @Manders - thank you!

All, I’ve updated my post with the studio’s name in case anyone is ever in Dallas and wants to check them out.

4 Likes

This is what he used…lasts for years.

I still have it as it is useful to sand down metal edges as well…basically a carbon something infused sandpaper?

1 Like

Thank you! I’m adding one to my Christmas wishlist!

1 Like

Super cool! I love your design and the different glass pieces you chose for it. Always wanted to try stained glass, myself. Maybe I’ll ask for a class gift certificate for Christmas.

1 Like

Thank you! I hope you get to take a class. I’d love to see what you make!

1 Like

:telephone_receiver: :telephone: :telephone_receiver: :telephone: :telephone_receiver: Hold the phone! Your potion bottle is a Featured Project this week! :telephone_receiver: :telephone: :telephone_receiver: :telephone: :telephone_receiver:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This is fabulous, I love the design and the colour choices

1 Like

Thank you! Your stained glass adventures were a huge inspiration.

1 Like

Oh that’s so cool.

When I was a kid we had a craft store not to far away where you could buy stained glass supplies and was very intrigued by it.

Jus recently I stumbled across a studio that offers classes but they are booked out at least half a year in advance.

Maybe I should still sign up.

1 Like