Star Spangled Leash and Collar Set

I had to buy some webbing for another project, and stumbled across an Etsy shop with great prices on webbing and buckles. And that gave me an idea! I bought a hardware kit for a dog collar…okay, I accidentally bought 10 hardware kits (like I said, their prices were really reasonable).

Since Mr. Puppy was really good this morning for his ‘mom’ haircut (groomers were closed up until a couple weeks ago, and he can’t get in for two more weeks), I thought that today was a good day to whip him up a special treat. Boy, was he excited for his new necklace! He even sat still for a photo.

I used this tutorial for the collar, but instead of ribbon, I used bias tape.

I didn’t really use a tutorial for the leash, but I used the technique I learned making my kids’ weekender bags. Basically, you just make a tube and pull the webbing through it, then top stitch. I used hardware from an old, chewed-up leash.

13 Likes

Very nice! Were you able to stitch through the double layer of webbing on a regular sewing machine or do you have a fancy one?

Thanks! I have a pretty standard machine. It’s got some fancy stitches, but it’s not labeled heavy duty or anything. I do have a titanium-coated needle in there, though. Mostly because I just found out that these exist and I was curious to check them out (they’re as awesome as you would think they would be). On another project, I managed to sew through one layer of webbing, three layers of batting and heavy interfacing, and eleven layers of quilting cotton. Those needles are tough.

2 Likes

Very cool, and he looks so proud of his new accessory :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a handsome boy!! Nice haircut, too!

And, the collar and leash are terrific! I wish my machine would sew through that much material. I’d make new ones for my puppos ASAP!

1 Like

So adorable!

1 Like

that’s a sweet baby that needs extra treats for sitting so pretty
Love the patriotic pup!

1 Like

Look at that fancy puppy!

1 Like

So cute! And he looks very dashing in his new collar! :grin:

1 Like

So dashing and festive!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! He really is quite pleased with himself. :joy: I’ll have to make him some more every once in a while so he feels pretty (and properly spoiled).

He’s adorable and so is that collar and leash! What a great idea to make your own. Collars and leashes can definitely be expensive and this is even better since you can personalize/customize them to the season.

1 Like

Congrats! Your Star Spangled Leash and Collar Set is one of this week’s featured projects. Way to rock it!

1 Like

As someone else that makes their own doggy collars I think you did a great job! Lovely colours, Mr Puppy looks adorable in his new collar :smiley:

1 Like

Mr. Puppy is so cute. The collar is super cute too.

1 Like