Starry suit coat and tie

My son wanted to enter his school’s virtual talent show doing a dance to “We No Speak Americano” (from Just Dance 4). The guy on the video wears a hot pink coat and ds thought it was the coolest. Unfortunately, there is no hot pink fabric to be found at my Joann’s and there was no time to order anything since shipping is soooo slow these days. I told him we would just have to look through my stash and see what I had. He chose this purple fabric with small silver stars. Next, I needed a pattern, but none of the Big 3 make patterns for 10 yr old boys. You get things from baby up to about age 7, then there’s a giant gap until they’re grown men and you might get a couple of pajama patterns. :roll_eyes: I ended up buying Simplicity 9055, which is a girl’s suit pattern. I traced out his size and eliminated the feminine style lines. This pattern does not call for a full lining, but I felt like it needed it since we were just using quilting cotton for the body. I’m not sure where I went wrong, but the insertion of the lining did not go well and, at one point, I thought I was going to have to deconstruct half the suit. Fortunately, I made it work and, as long as no one turns it inside out and examines it, nobody can tell that it was less than perfect.

The tie was from some black satin I had leftover from… something. Again, I had to use a girl pattern. Kinda makes me want to write some letters to the pattern companies… Anyways, the tie isn’t perfect, either, but I was under a time crunch, so we called it good enough!

23 Likes

He looks great! The jacket and tie look perfect from over here :wink:

1 Like

He looks SO cool!!! You did a great job figuring everything out. I think a letter would be a good idea. Seems like the only thing they make for 10-year-old boys is maybe some Halloween costumes.

2 Likes

He is :fire: in this awesome outfit!

1 Like

This is awesome!!

1 Like

haha! Mission accomplished, then!

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, that’s true, there are some Halloween costumes. I actually looked through those hoping I’d luck out, but the closest I got was Civil War soldier. Not quite the look he was going for!

Thanks, everybody! I wish you could see his dance; it was cute!

2 Likes

So awesome. I bet it really elevated his performance!!

1 Like

He looks great! You did a wonderful job of basically winging it!

I know sewing for boys must not be that popular…shame…I am sure there are boys that would love to have some unique, nonconventional clothing…maybe not…

It was the reason I started sewing in my teens, anyway…I wanted my unique clothing

2 Likes

You’d think that there would be some out there!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Starry Suit Coat and Tie is one of this week’s featured projects.

2 Likes

Aw, yay! Thanks! :blush:

2 Likes