Stash Busting Rainbow Granny Square Afghan

This was a quick and easy stash busting project to use up some of my mountain of Caron Simply Soft yarns. I managed to completely use up 5 skeins in my stash (some of which had been there since 2012!), and use a fair amount from numerous other skeins.

In order to make the rainbow a bit more even, I did buy 4 new skeins, but have nearly none of any of those 4 leftover. So I’m counting it an overall win. There was no real pattern, beyond starting a granny square, and just going on and on, while using 2 strands of yarn held together, to create the ombre/spectrum effect. So it’s thick and squishy. Hopefully perfect for the future tiny human it’s going to.

19 Likes

I love the colours…beautiful!

1 Like

Omg this looks even better than I imagined! Great choice for that yarn!

1 Like

What a gorgeous blanket! I love it so much.

1 Like

So sweet and cheerful! I love that it’s squishy to go with!

1 Like

The tiny future human will love it!

Can you explain more on how you do the ombre? Like is it two red then one orange and one red two oranges? Etc? I want to make this!

2 Likes

Yes! I started with two strands of red, one dark, and one bright. Then after several rounds, I dropped the darker red, kept the bright red, and added in the orange. Did several rows of red/orange, before dropping the bright red, and picking up the golden yellow. Several rounds of yellow/orange, then drop the orange and pick up a lighter yellow. I didn’t keep exact track of how many rounds of each color combo I did, but I’m pretty sure I can guess from the pictures, and my Ravelry page. All colors are from Caron Simply Soft.

Round 1-4: Garnet & Harvest Red
Rounds 5-8: Harvest Red & Pumpkin
Rounds 9-11: Pumpkin & Gold
Rounds 12-14: Gold & Maize
Rounds 15-17: Maize & Pistachio
Rounds 18-20: Pistachio & Kelly Green
Rounds 21-23: Kelly Green & Pagoda
Rounds 24-26: Pagoda & Cobalt Blue
Rounds 27-29: Cobalt Blue & Royal Blue
Rounds 30-31: Royal Blue & Dark Country Blue
Rounds 32-33: Dark Country Blue & Deep Plum
Round 34: 2 strands of Deep Plum

2 Likes

Awesome stash busting. I love how the colors are mixed. It is bright and cheerful.

1 Like

Love the double strand method. And you can’t beat a good squish factor!

It’s so bright and colorful and perfect for tiny humans. :grin:

1 Like

What tiny human wouldn’t love a colorful squishy blanket?? Kinda makes me wish I was a tiny human. A squishy rainbow blanket + no adulting sounds pretty divine.

1 Like

I :heart_eyes: your afghan

2 Likes