Stash-busting, Scrappy Placemats

A comment @Immaculata made in the Garage Sale thread reminded me that a few years BLC (Before Lettuce Craft) I made a set of eight (8) very scrappy placemats.

They are two sided and because I am not a quilter, a labor of love. Each one is quilted with a different design, using one of two variegated threads.

The binding is also scrappy, but all in black/white/grey prints.

They were given as a gift.

17 Likes

Those are super fun! I love how vibrant and random they are.

Wow… how fun are these? I’m drooling over more than a few of your fabric choices!

1 Like

Oh I love these. I am supposed to be making scrappy placemats for my house, but I’ve lost steam on my initial idea. I might just copy you instead! :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

I cut tons of 2.5" strips of various lengths from a pile of smaller scrap pieces, then just sewed them all in a long, long strip by randomly selecting from the bag o’ strips. I wanted to use as many stash scraps as I could and not think much about order and placement. This approach made it a much faster project and therefore one I would actually do!

3 Likes

Those are lovely and so fun! I’m sure the recipient adored them!

Those inspired a set I made for our dining room, that we’re still using in the new kitchen. They really don’t go with the new kitchen, but I haven’t had time to make something new, and they hide stains really, really well.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

@MistressJennie The key with mine is that they go with everything by going with nothing! :rofl:

3 Likes

They are so fun!! I want to seek & find all of the things on them.

2 Likes

These are great! And if you really wanted something that “matches” your kitchen, you just pick fabrics in coordinating colorways. Genius, and a great way to use up scraps.

1 Like

I love them. I have plans for a set for us but it’s one of those some day projects.

1 Like

Thanks, pals!

I was glad to have someone to give these to since we aren’t placemat people… easier to wipe the table than spot treat and launder placemats for us!

2 Likes