Stashbusting victory - Mondrian Pullover Sweater!

I am on a journey to more actively use the yarn in my stash instead of collecting and hoarding them with no clue or plan of how to use it up. I decided to see if I could find a pattern that could use up a large amount of yellow yarn (Sugarbush Canoe Sunset), along with some beautiful grayish-purple handspun yarn (with subtle sparkles!) gifted to me. I didn’t have enough of either to make a whole sweater or top, but together with maybe some accent colors something could work out…I found the Mondrian Pullover pattern by Two of Wands, and it seemed to be perfect. Definitely a bit out of my normal style of dress but there was something that kept me going back to the pattern to consider it.

I definitely would not have paired the 4 colors (ALL FROM STASH!) if I had free rein in a yarn shop, but weirdly it really started to grow on me, and now I feel like they work together. I tried to follow the proportions of colorblock laid out in the pattern, but didn’t have enough brown yarn (I think it was Lion’s Brand Wool Ease Umber) so had to extend the reddish portion (Knitpicks Red Barn Door tweed, worsted and fingering weight held together) to make the arms long enough. Of course, they grew after blocking so they’re a bit longer than I’d care for but definitely better than too short.

Thankfully the body blocked out longer too as I originally knit it a bit short, but am happy where it landed. Also, I must admit that this is the knit that taught me not to ignore the instructions to size down a needle when doing collar and cuffs…it really does make a difference :sweat_smile:

And here is all that’s left. It’s definitely not nothing, but so much less than I started out with. Mission accomplished, and I’m wearing my sweater to work tomorrow!

28 Likes

how cool, it came out great!
the colors make me think of Craftsman architecture for some reason. very sophisticated.

2 Likes

Your sweater is gorgeous and really flattering.

2 Likes

You certainly have mastered mixing yarns and colors! Your sweaters are so unique…and they look so comfy!

I love how you think outside the pattern to work with what you had…the sleeves are fabulous in those combinations!

Inspiring knitting for sure!

2 Likes

Gorgeous, seriously wow. Beautiful colour choices. Looks great on you.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone! Mentally I was very ready to break down and buy more yarn to get this finished (wasn’t sold on this color combo at first) but I’m thrilled I didn’t. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Wow! I love the pattern as well as the color combo. Nice!

2 Likes

This came out so amazing! Beautifully done, both stitching wise, and stash-busting wise.

3 Likes

This is so nice that no one would suspect it was a stash busting exercise! The colors look nice together and also really great on you!

2 Likes

This came out great! Good for you for sticking to the stashbust plan!

That last bit of the yarns looks like enough for a complementary cowl or hat, perhaps? Hard to tell from the pic

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I will have to think of plans for the leftovers later. I have my eye on a couple of shawl patterns now to use up some lonely skeins of fingering.

5 Likes

This looks fabulous!
I’m really impressed that it’s all from stash!
Thanks for pointing out the pattern…. I’ll add it to my favorites!
Well done :+1:t3:

2 Likes

This is so awesomely quirky. The color combo and layout totally works and I wouldn’t have thought so either! Wear it everywhere!

3 Likes

I love the color combo! The tone works and is so warm and cozy looking. Fits you great and congrats on the stash bust!

2 Likes

What a win! Unique, stylish, warm, and just plain fun!

1 Like

:hole: The LC groundhog says…this project rocks! :metal: Congrats on being featured!

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

This sweater is gorgeous! And it looks wonderful on you! Hooray for stash!

1 Like

It looks wonderfully cozy. I liked seeing your progress pics and how all the colors came together at the end. :+1:

1 Like

This is beautiful. I’m thinking that you must have done a ton of purling if you had to do the body colors separately. So much work but so worth it!

1 Like