Let’s Stitch Along to the End of Time!

I absolutely love that!

1 Like

Another camping square is done. I’ve slowed down due to new porch DIY projects. And this tablecloth will look great on the porch.

The new fir floor is almost done (Saturday is the day) and repairing the siding in the room and adding trim is next.

The builder and my wife are installing the siding if it ever gets here and we need electricity and plumbing moved. All in all, we may get there by June.

11 Likes

Tap tap tap
:flat_shoe:

2 Likes

Okay! Sorry about the delay. I had a little hiccup yesterday and wasn’t able to do everything I wanted to do.

The winner for April is: @Abbeeroad! Congrats!

The theme for May is: Color Me Impressed. I am a huge fan of color but let’s see what we can do when you only have 1-4 choices. You can do any project as long as you only use up to 4 colors. This gives you a lot of room to play. Use your imagination!

Same rules as always apply! Have fun!

7 Likes

A very challenging theme! Limited colors…hmmm…I have a few ideas but, of course, I want to use the rainbow…lol…

Congrats, @Abbeeroad…I loved that book lover pattern!

2 Likes

Ooooo…interesting challenge!

So a white background, plus red, blue, and yellow. I can blend colors, right, to get every color on earth?

Just getting jesuitical.

1 Like

The fabric (background used to stitch on) doesn’t count. The four colors are the actual stitching /floss. You can use up to four different floss colors.
If you were going to felt something, it would be four colors of felt.

Hope this helps. :blush:

4 Likes

I feel like this is for my benefit. :slight_smile: Thanks.

2 Likes

I think I’ve got a good idea to make for this!

1 Like

This was inspired by the many similar designs found on pinterest, but I didn’t use a particular pattern. I drew the pattern out on the back and used that as my guide. I then just played around with different stitches.

Three colours of embroidery thread picked -

All is embroidered in 2 strands - there are stripes of solid colour and a blend of 2 of the colours. I like how the blue/yellow and red/yellow give an impression of green and orange - I don’t feel like the red/blue gives such a good impression though.

I wanted a single word and it was actually a colleague who suggested peace and it felt right straight away. The wording is embroidered with one strand of each colour.

11 Likes

Very clever to use the colors to create more colors! lol I really thought you did a rainbow hoop!

1 Like

I love it!! Blending threads is genius. I especially like the middle.

3 Likes

How smart! I love what you did.

2 Likes

Beautiful!!

1 Like

There’s a fancy word for what you just did there: optical colors!

" Optical color mixing is created through our perception of color . When one looks at two small amounts of different colors laid down side by side the two appear to create a different color . This color is usually something similar to the result when the two are mixed in pigment." --Thanks Google.

(I’ve learned this in my studying for the OAE Art test.)

I really like your hoop! I’m dealing with a stressful work situation right now, and I felt at peace just looking at yours.

4 Likes

Ooohh, thank you for sharing this great fact - I love facts like this :smiley:

I showed it to my art teacher friend yesterday and mentioned the red/blue not giving the same effect as the other blends and she said it was because I picked a dominant red and secondary blue!

4 Likes

I saw a YouTube a few years ago that explained that red isn’t the real primary, it should be magenta. That flies in the face of all I learned in kindergarten, but I tested their ideas.

I was surprised to find that magenta mixed with yellow does make a decent red; I expected mud. Of course magenta and blue make a great purple.

This might be the video.

As for this months embroidery; I sketched a design, collected materials, even printed a frame. But I’ve been busy, and I don’t think I’m going to do any actual stitching. I like the design, and will probably stitch it up later.

3 Likes

Printing uses Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta plus black, just 4 colors to print a magazine or brochure. They are the real primary colors and very pure. The yellow, red and blue we grew up with are not. School paint red is magenta and yellow, blue is cyan and magenta. Yellow is mostly yellow with a bit of magenta. So mixing green works pretty well, orange is fine, but try purple? Mixing magenta, yellow, and cyan gets you a dark mud color and not purple as we all experienced. I was always so frustrated with school paint and never knew why.
Now your computer screen uses light, red, green, and blue light. The opposites of the reflective colors of cyan, magenta and yellow. Fun right? I’ve worked in printing and taught photoshop. It’s always fun to get into color theory and play.

6 Likes

Oh I’m not happy with mine but I think I’m done trying to fix it. Just an experiment with different textures inspired by some awesome embroidery online. Mine is not as awesome, lol, but was fun to play around a bit this morning.

10 Likes