Stitch-n-BOTCH: A thread for our crafty cautionary tales and fails

I agree, we at least need to have a good chuckle when things don’t go as planned. Or, in my case, when we barrel into something without thinking at all!
Yes, thank goodness there was success in the cover itself! The pages aren’t sewn to the cover, so it will be easy enough to replace them with another set of paper. And I may be able to save the inner portion of the pages, closer to the spine, so that it’s a tall, skinny book in the end.

@LeapFeetFirst, it looks and feels a lot nastier in person! the outer third of the papers, at least, are beyond what could pass as distressed. :laughing: Though I will try to salvage parts!

2 Likes

Aw, I’m sorry the pages got ruined! But looking forward to seeing how the cover turned out… Thanks for reviving this craft-fail thread. Unfortunately, I’m sure I will be posting here, too!

2 Likes

Ugh! I wonder if there could be any way of masking the pages with plastic, or if there would be seepage no matter what. Good luck with the salvaging!

That totally would have worked, wax paper could be helpful too (though there would probably still be warping).

1 Like

What a crushing disappointment. Would you be able to iron the pages that are stuck together and get them more flatterish? Could be transformed into a board book, might still be pretty cool.

@calluna It’s always so disappointing when a quick fun project fails unexpectedly. I’m really curious about the outside. Did it turn out the way you wanted?

Here are some fails from my latest project.

Those boards were supposed to be the same length:

So I had to turn to drill, wood glue and dowels:

I also managed to cut one corner in the wrong direction:

4 Likes

Even working through your “mistakes” your raised garden beds look great!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I have a close friend with whom I discuss most of my woodworking projects. And he’s mostly of the opinion
“Just throw it away and cut a new one”

My general reaction to this is
“I bought exactly what I needed and I want to finish it now without going to the store again”

5 Likes

We have a stitch and botch thread? Yay!!! How did i not know about this? I will be posting my latest failure today! I put so many hours into it before I finally admitted defeat. :sob::sob:

I think there’s another craftastrophe thread too but I always search for “botch” lol.

Show your craft-oops, now I’m so curious!

1 Like

JoyfulClover and I are doing a personal swap. We took vintage cut and sew panels and reinvented them. I bought this tote panel and decided to scale up my TM patch technique so she would have a super textured bag. Scaling up does not work! The whole panel warped and no amount of stitching could fix it. You cannot have a warped tote bag. :sob: This was sooooo many hours of hand stitching until I gave up. I ended up starting over and the second project turned out to be much cooler. I will post a link after she receives.

Edit: @JoyfulClover received the item, so I can tag her and remove the blur. JoyfulClover, now you know why it took me an eternity to complete this swap. Who knows? Maybe I can salvage it and make a Halloween pillow.

The botch:

The original panel:
s-l500

p.s. sorry about my toe in the photo.

1 Like

Oh dear. Well, lesson learned, right?
Also, I like the toe shot, those are fun :smile:

1 Like

Look how textural it is! And I can see the remaining bits you repurposed!

I’m so sorry this didn’t work out, but I can see all the work! And really appreciate the effort. I hope inspiration hits and you are able to do something with it one day!

J Clove

1 Like

I definitely failed this thing!!

A while back I followed a needlepunch class with a few friends. It was a lot of fun, the teacher had prepared a few designs and provided us with all the tools, yarn and fabric. I chose the Girl with the pearl earring design. I completed about half of it during the class and put everything away when I got home.

Recently I dug it up from the cupboard with the intention of finishing it. You work from the back while doing needlepunch so I hadn’t really seen the front yet. Well, ehm, I’m not really sure if it’s worth finishing:laughing: Turns out doing really detailed designs is very, very difficult. The teacher’s sample piece looks much better! needlepunch - zoownatas

5 Likes

She looks so surprised :flushed:, lol. I have to admit, this cracked me up :joy:. It seems like working from the back without seeing the front to guide you would be really difficult and take a ton of practice!

4 Likes

I would finish it and say it was the princess in Frozen… :rofl:

1 Like

You draw the pattern on the back, so theoretically it should not be that difficult, but on the side you’re working on, the stitches lay flat. So you can feel like you’re stitching very precisely, following all the pattern lines, but then you turn it around and the loops have ended up everywhere! It’s also a challenge to make all the loops the same length. As you can see, the loops in her face are much longer than those in her hairband. I know some people trim them all to the same length after stitching, but it does change the texture a lot. It will look a bit like a latch hook rug then. Honestly, I didn’t think needlepunch was that interesting so I doubt I’ll be doing it again. Not sure if I should finish this and hang it up in my craft room anyway or just throw it out.

Do you think maybe the back of this box was assembled upside down?

:laughing:

3 Likes

That is fantastic. :smile:

When you are sewing tired late at night after work and you add the inside zipper pocket to the outside purse piece & have to go buy more fabric so you can even finish the darn thing now.
Should be easy enough to match this profusion of pink at least, lol.

4 Likes