Storage ideas for rice?

Who has good storage ideas for things like rice and beans? The zillion plastic bags with rubber band tops that I can’t read are driving me nuts.

Admittedly, this is not a HUGE problem, and is one of my own making, but in just the rice category I keep basmati, brown, jasmine, arborio, sushi, long and short grain, calrose, and sometimes wild.

Fellow rice addicts what do you do?

1 Like

Are you 100% set on the brands you buy or are you willing to switch it up?

I buy my brand of jasmine rice solely because it comes in a resealable zip-top bag. Same with arborio, I only buy brands that come in jars with screw lids. (And uh… incase anyone is curious, a 20lb bag of rice fits in a 2.5 gallon ziplock bag :wink:)

1 Like

I buy rice in huge bags…they are too bulky to use in the kitchen. What we do is store them in buckets in our storage space…put some bay leaves in the bucket to make sure you don’t get weevils.

For the kitchen I use plastic containers meant for cereals. They are tall and thin and fit nicely together. Hubby likes that he can either pour or open and use the measuring cup. We label each rice and put them on various shelves by which one we seem to use the most. Jasmine rice is in the closet cupboard and short grain Japanese new rice is there as well.

We have the same storage system for beans, various couscous, and flours!

3 Likes

I use plastic containers to store most everything in my kitchen … rice, flour, spices, cereal, sugar … I do buy quality ones, not dollar store brands, so the tops stay well sealed from moisture and critters.

1 Like

Tupperware was invented here in the South because of that very reason! We have to seal everything!

4 Likes

I could do a commercial for Tupperware, it’s all I use. Didn’t mention it by name as I wasn’t sure what countries had it.

3 Likes

Hmm, tall and skinny Tupperware sounds smart. Currently it’s a million little bags in a deep drawer, so if I can see and label the tops that would probably work. Thanks folks!

2 Likes

We used to eat lots of peanuts that came in square plastic jars with screw on lids. They hold about a quart and a half. I use them for sugar, rice, buttons, charms…

2 Likes

I love those squarish jars! I think they contained bulk items I got from Costco…nuts, and other snacks…I will have to check it out as I want the containers! I have many of my smaller supplies like washi tape and butcher string in them…great idea!

2 Likes

I learned on the farm, everything sealed up tight to keep out bugs & rodents. Grain moths are the WORST, yuck!
We use mostly mason jars. I do like recycling but don’t love plastic so opt for glass whenever possible.

Costco is a great source for giant packaging. Anybody got a solution for getting pickle smell out of jar lids? Lol

2 Likes

Soak in bicarb of soda??

2 Likes

I have the same problem with kimchi jar lids…I have been saving loads of lids to see if other lids will fit the jars…

2 Likes

You can add a piece of waxed paper under the lid to reduce odour transfer but ya, that vinegar smell, woo! Baking soda, dish soap, hot water, oil soak, whatever. I’ve never gotten it out completely.

2 Likes

I use IKEA Korken jars with glass lids. They are stackable, affordable and because they’re all glass they don’t get smelly after a while. They seal and because the lid is connected you don’t lose the lids.

If we buy things in really large quantities, we use foodgrade plastic buckets. We used to have a roommate who was into bodybuilding & he went through so many buckets of protein powder.

4 Likes

We buy 5-20kg at a time of long grain white and basmati; we keep those in 2 gallon or 5 gallon food grade buckets.

I found some fantastic giant airtight glass jars (app. 1/2 gal-1 1/2 gal?) at Costco a couple years ago that I love for smaller quantities that are more than a quart. Lentils, split peas, white beans, and popcorn live in those. Oh! The dollar stores occasionally have larger-than-a-quaer food storage jars, but be mindful of seals.

Most other things I reuse old canning or salvaged jars, as others have mentioned! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like