Striped Panel Makes Shirt Fit Better

In the very early days of LC, I had asked for suggestions on how to add space in a t-shirt sleeve, and many of you came to the rescue! I put that information to the back of my head, and didn’t do anything about it until today. I had my daughter try on her too tight shirt so I could get an idea of where she needed space. We decided that the darned fitted shirt style is annoying, and didn’t look right.

So, I decided to just tear out (turns out, just trimming with scissors alongside) the seam and sew a 2" strip from leftover soccer jersey fabric on each edge from sleeve to bottom. This gave her more room, but the sleeves were still too tight and she likes looser clothing, so I tore out one side of each seam and sewed in another 2" in strip.

I had her wear it while we went out and played some backyard badminton to be sure she liked the fit before I took the time to go ahead and reinforce seams.

After 30 min or so of badminton, she still is happy, so I will reinforce the seams. I have a couple more shirts (This same one, in a smaller size, which we purchased first and was too small. We hoped the next size up would work, but didn’t either. She also has another shirt. This same fix should work for both. Woohoo!)

15 Likes

Thanks soooooo much!!! Fits soooooo much better!!!

3 Likes

You’re very welcome! I’m so glad! Achievement unlocked: New Skill Learned!

3 Likes

This is so cute! @GeekyBookworm you look fantastic in it. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Congratulations! You’ve earned the Gusset merit badge!I

We totally need merit badges in life.

5 Likes

That’s why we have merit badge swaps!

2 Likes

I’ve seen this on Pinterest and keep saying I am going to do it to a couple shirts I outgrew but never tried. This looks great. Gives me more motivation to actually try it. Yours turned out fantastic!

1 Like

good save, and it also adds an interesting color element to the shirt, so win-win :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s an excellent modification! I’ve got a few shirts that could use some extra room; I might have to steal your idea.

1 Like

I have been meaning to do this with a couple of shirts, too! I bought a shirt that was 3 sizes too small when I bought it because it was all they had left (concert t-shirt at the end of the tour), so I’m hoping I can make this work for me. It might not really work on that concert shirt, but it will work on some other shirts I own. Thanks for posting yours and reminding me of it!

1 Like

Great fix!!!

1 Like

Ahh brilliant! Tshirts never fit my broad chest/back, and I have so many witty or sentimental tshirts I just never wear and don’t want pillows out of. I’d thought about modding but for some reason didn’t think about adding to the sides. HMMM Great job!

1 Like

Thank you so much and welcome to our community! I hope this helps you!

1 Like