Stroopkoeken!

This is the recipe I used:

List of ingredients

For the dough

• 400 grams all purpose flour
  • 250 grams butter, at room temperature
  • 180 grams sugar (just normal white sugar)
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder

For the syrup filling

• 80 grams butter
  • 120 grams brown sugar
  • 200 grams syrup (stroop would have been ideal, you can substitute maple syrup like I did, or golden syrup, or honey, depending on the flavor you want)
  • ½ tsp cinnamon

Using a stand mixer, mix the dough’s butter, sugar, salt and egg until creamy light and fluffy. Add the dough’s flour and baking powder and knead into a cohesive dough. Don’t over mix, if it forms a ball it is done. Cover in plastic wrap and let the dough rest in the fridge for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 355 ° F

Roll out the chilled dough on a floured work surface to about 3mm thick and cut out circles about 8 cm in diameter (I used biscuit cutters and made some bite sized cookies as well). Place these on a cookie sheet that has been covered with parchment paper.

Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes at 355 ° F until light golden brown. Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.

To make the filling:
Put all the ingredients in a heavy saucepan, cook on medium stirring constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the caramel reaches soft ball stage (I use a cup of ice water to test if it has reached the correct stage). Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool until warm and thick. Put a heaping teaspoon of caramel on half the cookies and place another cookie on top.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Thank you so much!! This sounds delicious! :two_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’ve only ever had the prepackaged kind. There’s a company in Canada that makes gluten free stroopwafel . Pretty good! But I’m sure home made is a million times better. Hmm, I do have a pizelle iron, I actually found it by accident when rearranging my baking stuff. Add fresh pizelle stroopwafel to the list of stuff I want to try with no extra time to do it in. :laughing:

2 Likes