STS (Shop the Swap) 2023 Fall Market Discussion

adorable!!

and @Lynx , you are really good at keeping our little STS economy going! It is tempting for me to hoard points, but I need to remember that if we all spread the points around, it is more fun for everybody! And it all works out at the end :heart_decoration:

5 Likes

Many years I don’t seem to make many sales (or it feels that way), but this year I have, so I am having a ton of fun spending. (And don’t feel I have to hoard as much.)

6 Likes

It’s been a bit difficult to tell apart some of the messages. Would y’all please send separate messages for each of the claimed, sent, received? Please put CLAIM, SENT, or RECEIVED in the title as well. I don’t mind having lots of messages when it helps me keep the swap easily organized. Thank you and have a fun Sunday! :partying_face:

9 Likes

Will do! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So it’s better to start a new message for each phase of the process?
(Rather than hitting reply)
I’m sure I’ve been part of the confusion…. Sorry!

1 Like

Yes, a new message for each step is helpful. You can copy/paste from the running list.
It’s nice to be able to batch process all claims, etc, then I don’t have to keep switching brain gears :brain: :gear:

5 Likes

I like to copy the current message, hit reply, hit the plus sign that lets me “reply to group in new message” (or something like that), then change the pm title.

@irid3sc3nt I save all my Ornament Swap (which has a lot of messages like this one) into a tab on my computer browser bar. I have a folder for each participant and when they send mesages, I bookmark them into that folder. I can edit the bookmark title (message title) when I do that or even after the fact. For example, the bookmark title may say: lynx to abc for xyz SENT. This makes it so easy for me to go back and search for certain messages if I need to.

6 Likes

Thanks for explaining how you copy a message and change subject line.
I get confused when it gives me options on how to do the message!
Also @irid3sc3nt
For your patience & explanation

3 Likes

That was the bit I had completely failed to figure out how to do, thanks!

2 Likes

I have done some bookmarking like that for my partner Qs if I didn’t print them out or there’s too much info to write down (right now I have only sticky notes at my “desk”). It would be nice to have folders within our messages, but it’s probably annoying to create that system on this site or sweets would have done it by now, I think.

I usually have something recorded on one of the spreadsheets or on the swap list and I occasionally check y’alls lists under your shops, but claims can slip if they’re at the bottom of a message chain.

I’m happy with being this swap organizer. I’m mostly disappointed in myself for not making more stuff over the summer. I’m making more stuff as the swap goes on, plus for other swaps. :ghost:

5 Likes

I wonder if there’s a way to do a google form or similar. It wouldn’t be part of the site so it might not be a great idea. It might also be hard if not everyone was using it. But google forms respondes go directly into a google sheet which could make it really easy to track everything.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I haven’t used google forms before.

Organizing this swap is a lot! I learned some tricks about searching the personal messages last year that maybe could help. :slight_smile:

@kayrun , I hope you don’t mind me using you as an example. I blurred out any personal bits. :slight_smile:

searching

In the search at the top of the screen, type in the username including the @ sign and be sure in add the in:messages bit at the end. Then click on “More” at the bottom (in yellow) and it returns a list of every single message you received from the username. In this example it is @kayrun. :slight_smile:

The @ sign is very important! Otherwise if you just type in “kayrun in:messages” and click on “More” you will get every single message with the word ‘kayrun’ in the body of the message. Without the @ it treats it like a word search instead of a user search.

You can also be very specific in the search. For example, if I am looking for a private message from @kayrun with the word ‘wood’ in it, type this in:

Screenshot 2023-08-09 170226

And it returns only private messages from @kayrun with the word ‘wood’ inside the message. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

6 Likes

I have a couple of supply items I need to post, but the weekend (and today) have been insane, so fingers crossed I can go it sometime during the week.

5 Likes

Math. Thanks for sharing that!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

You can also sort the results so it shows you newest to oldest posts with the word “claim” in the subject or body of the message. Just pick ‘lastest topic’ in the drop down (bottom right of image). :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m kinda holding out for those craft fair leftovers! (Although maybe there won’t be any, since they all look so cool!)

4 Likes

You’re so sweet!

1 Like

Me too!

2 Likes

I don’t mind being the example! You really opened my eyes when you explained this to me in a PM recently, so I’m glad you shared with the group, as it’s such a good technique to know :slight_smile:

and @gozer , I think a bunch of us will be circling like vultures once your craft fair is over!

3 Likes