Stuffed Veggies

I started making stuffed vegetables about a year ago, when I got some round zucchinis.
But round ones are hard to find. One of the stores near my house sells bags of hollowed out zucchinis, which makes things easier.
As per usual, I dug around the internet for recipes and inspiration, and then adjusted to what I had available and what this household likes to eat.
I make a big pot and then enjoy them as lunch for a few days. It’s pretty filling and I feel very accomplished (I have been known to randomly point out my plate to people and say, look, I made this, this actual food thing).
In this case, I stuffed peppers and zucchinis, with rice and beef in a tomato based sauce.
I’ve also done a vegetarian version without the beef, to share with a vegetarian friend.

Here’s a picture of one of the round ones from that first batch. They are so cute with their little hats :smiley:

9 Likes

So yummy-looking!

1 Like

I’ve seen these baked in the oven but not like this. Are you boiling or steaming them?

1 Like

Yummy! Every time I see peppers at the store, I think to myself that we haven’t made those in a long time. And that’s where that thought stops.

2 Likes

I was so confused when you referenced ‘round zucchinis’ (“aren’t all zucchini’s round? I’ve never seen a square zucchini…” :thinking:). It made so much more sense after seeing your picture, lol! That shape seems perfect for this type of meal! These look and sound tasty!

3 Likes

Looks so tasty!!

1 Like

Looks nice! Growing up, we used to eat tomatoes stuffed with meat, I hadn’t thought of stuffed vegetables in a long time. Maybe I should give them a try sometime!

1 Like

They are covered almost completely in sauce while cooking, but after the initial boil of the sauce it’s left on a low simmer with the lid on until everything is soft and ready.

2 Likes

They look yummy! I love stuffed peppers and stuffed eggplants…so when zukes come back around, I am going to give those a stuffing as well.

Does your household like beans or lentils? I thought someone here made stuffed veggies with lentils that also looked delicious!

1 Like

The smaller zukes are a lot of work to hollow out, but they do make a really yummy meal. So I was really happy that I found a place close by that sells them ready. I know there are a few stalls in our local markets that also sell hollowed out veggies, you see the women sitting there doing it, so you know it’s super fresh. But the closest market I have is a bit of a hassle to get to, and this store is walking distance from my house.
We like beans and lentils, some more some less, the part that my pickier eaters don’t like is the actual veggies (but they eat plenty of stuff, no real picky eaters here)/

2 Likes