Summer skirt

Goodwill supplied it all. The blank skirt, the blouses I got to cut up for all the images.
This is inspired by a skirt for sale on Etsy. (second photo)
I adore animals and just HAD to put a seal on a rock in mine. The rock is the reverse side of the waves fabric.
Sewing is hard for me so I put it all on with fabric fusing tape.
Initially, the sun was a lot smaller. But it looked like a moon that way and I want the ‘sun and fun’ feel so I made it bigger and was happier with that.
I decided not to use the buoy image as in the Etsy skirt. Just too much cutting and although I love buoys, I left that complicated thing out.
I put fray stop on all and was not happy that the ‘dries invisibly’ did not work. I had to redo the seal because the edges were so dark. Even with much less fray stop on it, I can still see the goop.

Ok, here’s the real kicker…
It took a week to do all of this. Much laying out, cutting, losing that darn tiny seal eye whenever I looked the other way and I crawled around on the floor looking in vain for it. Lost three eyes. So, all that work and when I went to put it on, I discovered that I PUT IT ON THE BACK OF THE SKIRT!! Good grief. So it is not too comfortable since the skirt has a very nice edge and pretty buttons on the front but the back is that wide thick elastic!
Oh, well. I am still gonna wear it.
thanks for looking.

21 Likes

Cute! I love that you did your own version with things you love.

And it’s not a project until you lose something/mess something up! I’m glad you’ll still wear your work with pride!

2 Likes

This is so cute!!

2 Likes

Like how you made a plain skirt your own!

2 Likes

It turned out so cute. Sorry, I had to laugh about it being on the back. That is completely something that would happen to me. Love the addition of the seal!

2 Likes

Cute skirt!

I get annoyed when garments are pretty in front and boring in back…how about treating this as practice, and doing something similar on the front?

4 Likes

I would add to the front also… more ocean, or maybe a rocky shoreline or beach with some sleeping seals? (thus, no eyes to worry about!)

2 Likes

This is such a delight!

1 Like

I love this so hard! Fab!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Summer Skirt is one of this week’s featured projects! You are awesome!

2 Likes

I like yours much better!

1 Like

This is so cute! What a fun use of the patterns on the blouses. I can’t blame you for skipping the buoy, though!

1 Like

So cute! I giggled at the lost eye(s) too. I have a habit of losing something with every project. It turned out great!

1 Like

oh, thank you!!

The little seal is so wonderful! I like that pattern for the water, like the water is all frothy and foamy. That or teeming with little jellyfish, hehe.

1 Like