Sunprint Paper

Remember SunPrint paper from when we were kids? I took a packet of it to school last year and the kids (teenagers, no less!) had so much fun playing with it. They made journal covers, pendants, greeting cards, and more.

11 Likes

Fun! I have some of this up in my stash and never remember to collect things to โ€œprintโ€ with it. Hmmmmm.

2 Likes

Those are beautiful! Looks like a fun project. Would be excellent for different papercraft. Is this a specific type of paper?

1 Like

Same. I had that packet in my craft stash forrrrever. I knew if I took it, they would play with it. :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, itโ€™s a paper that has substances applied to it that create a chemical reaction in the sun. I think you can make DIY sun paper, too, but Iโ€™ve never ventured into it.

2 Likes

Wouldnโ€™t that mean you could never have it in sunlight afterward?

After itโ€™s exposed to the sunlight, then you rinse it and the water removes the solution and stops the reaction.

Or here is their lengthy explanation. :smile: How it works | Sunprint Kits

There are two exciting things happening to the paper while it is underwater. First, the original blue compound is water soluble, so that when you immerse it in the bath, the water carries it away, leaving only the white paper base in those areas. Second, the colorless compound whose formation was caused by the sunโ€™s energy is not water soluble, so it cannot wash away in the water bath. It is sensitive to the water in another way. Just as the Sunโ€™s light stimulated a chemical change in the previous step, the water stimulates another chemical change in this one. The water causes an oxidation reaction that turns the colorless compound into the deep blue of a finished print.

1 Like