Sustainable mend and maintain-along ♻️

That’s a beautiful piece.

1 Like

I watched a few videos of this woman from Germany who picks five or so pieces of clothing from her closet and figures out why she hasn’t worn them. She then proceeds to fix them so that she will.

She usually loves the fabric, but maybe not the length or the sleeves, etc. Most of the fixes are pretty easy, too. Make a top out of a dress. Cut off the top of a dress to make a skirt. The hardest thing she did was combine a top and a skirt to make a new dress.

If she didn’t like the fix, well, then, off to the donation pile. I am going to try this with my own clothes. I know I just have to figure out what it is that I don’t like. I think breaking it down into four or five at a time is doable and won’t be overwhelming.

What are your thoughts on remaking clothes like this?

6 Likes

That’s more or less what I’ve been doing with my mending pile lately, tho I like the idea of analyzing unworn things out of the closet.

2 Likes

Your post is what got me thinking about it…I often wonder how much of what I donate really gets worn again or if it is sent to be shredded or to a foreign country, etc. It bothers me that clothing is filling the landfills all over…people used to keep their clothes longer, mending them, changing them up with new trim or buttons, etc.

I know I am guilty of excess so I am not buying any new clothes this year.Mending and refashioning, or even reusing the fabrics for something else.

3 Likes

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

3 Likes

Did I link to the april challenge? I don’t think I did…

Maybe I should try finishing my winter boot mend before april is over. One heel left to patch.

5 Likes

Really beautiful mends.

I fixed the hanging loop on Rob’s sweater the other day but that’s all I’ve mended in ages. That pile of sweaters needs my attention before I blink & it’s winter again!

2 Likes

I’ve been shirking the mending here, too. I might go ahead and make it a “day” theme like Ma Ingalls to try to get into a habit again.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it counts, but I made new straps for my purse. It’s a new purse, I just hated the strap that came with it. But, I loved the purse (this may be the last purse I ever buy, it’s that perfect…for me, anyway)! Since it was on sale, I didn’t feel at all bad for buying the materials to make new straps.

9 Likes

I thought I get in on the “mend the bed sheets” vibe. I’ve done pillow cases before, but never sheets. I have two fitted sheets that have worn thin and frayed in the middle. I tackled one today, but I don’t have high hopes for the lasting power of it :woozy_face:. I’ll work on the other one in a couple of days and we will see if they hold up to continued use. I did put some backing fabric for my stitching.

10 Likes

Nice job! I save pillowcases and parts of other old sheets to back up any thin or worn spots on my sheets. I only repair my bed sheets and not the guest room sheets, but eventually, the guest room sheets are used for my repairs.

It’s a lot of fabric to just toss into the garbage! I do donate to the animal shelter when there are still good parts for them to use to line cages or clean up.

4 Likes

Yes, this is backed with some pillow case fabric. I had previously reduced several king size pillow cases to standard size since we no longer have a king size bed. I stashed all the cut down bits of fabric for repairs.

4 Likes

Two of my mending WIPs are purse straps - it totally counts!

What I actually worked on was a quick win - three little holes along the ribbing of my basic black cardigan.

About 7 minutes of work to get it back into the closet.

7 Likes

Nice save!

2 Likes

I finally tackled my mending pile - I’ve been without a machine for a few months. I fixed three pairs of underwear that needed a tiny bit of work to be wearable again (broken stitches). Ten minutes work in total, three things back in the closet.

6 Likes

Well… I took some of the mending out on the shady patio. It still doesn’t mend itself. Rude!

I think I’ll move the button a bit when I sew it back on. The fit is a little bit tight and hopefully that will put a bit less strain on the button.

8 Likes

Outdoors mending, looks fun!

Has anyone ever mended crochet? I have a large granny-type crocheted blanket that we’ve used quite a bit while moving, to wrap fragile items in, and I think we snagged it somewhere, because the thread broke and some stitches unravelled. It’s a pretty sturdy acrylic yarn so it doesn’t just break for no reason. It was a scrap project but luckily I have a tiny little ball of this yarn left over, so I have some extra thread to work with. I’ve never mended crochet, I’m sure it’s do-able but it needs more thinking through than simply stitching a patch.

2 Likes

I keep talking about mending some crochet items but not actually doing it lol.
Let me see if i had a good tutorial I was procrastinating with…

I am not seeing the one that I remember, but there are a few YouTube ones that look helpful. You may have restarted my interest in this project lol! (Or a renewed rabbit hole of procrastination! Haha)

2 Likes

Show the class if you find any good resources! I’m guessing I’ll need to mend crochet sooner or later.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched this all the way through yet, but it looks promising:

5 Likes