Sustainable mend and maintain-along ♻️

I now see a need not to use up the last bits of my blanket yarns!

I am going to find a way to label and store yarns for blankets and other crochet/knit projects…nd not destash them all!

I have already had to repair one afghan but I used different yarn and it is quite obvious.

4 Likes

Another day, another dog toy mending project. I laugh when I see “indestructible” stated on toy packaging. Frankly, my big dog could care less what his toys look like. I say I could sew a Kevlar square filled with stuffing and a squeaker, and he would be perfectly happy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: My MIL feels like he should have toys that look like cartoon characters, so here I sit repairing another one.

7 Likes

The black patch looks like a censor bar, like the horrors of what your dog did to his poor stuffy had to blacked out. :joy:

I hemmed a pair of dress pants for a friend… didn’t snap a picture, but it was black fabric, so what’s really the point? He had to wear new uniform pants to a ceremony and attempted to shorten them himself. I had to clean up a bit of a mess with uneven lengths and fusible webbing. :joy: His wife and I will have a good laugh about this later. I ended up only having enough fabric to ‘overlock’ the edges and turn up an inch of hem. I did a double row of topstitching to secure that edge and keep it nice and neat.

4 Likes

For some reason our fitted sheets have been wearing out way faster than I have ever experienced in my life. Now, we’re not buying $400 sheet sets or anything, but we’re not buying super cheap ones anyway - I mean you can’t get 100% cotton king sets for super cheap! ANYWAY, I’m not sure TheMisterT can handle the texture so I have been hesitant to try to mend. Well, I did so today. Super thin fuseable interfacing, cutoff from a pillowcase, a smidgen of stitches. :crossed_fingers:

FittedSheet01

It’s quite a bit smoother to the touch than it looks. Meh.

6 Likes

I hate how fast sheets are wearing out these days. I distinctly remember sleeping under super comfortable, decades old sheets as a child, and now nothing seems to last more than a few years. And we don’t buy the cheapest option either, and use a detergent that’s not too harsh on fabric.

I need to fix Mr. Imma’s work pants! It will be a tricky repair. He gained a little bit of weight and now his pants are a bit tight. And instead of coming to me so I could move the button of his pants half an inch, he continued to wear them until he ripped the waistband! Internally, it’s completely ripped, but on the outside it doesn’t look too bad. The pants were expensive and are still really nice, so we don’t want to throw them away. I’ll need to reinforce the waistband, do it as invisibly as possible, and move the button. Since they’re work pants, he wears a belt with them and I hope they can hide the the mend as much as possible.

4 Likes

Glad you brought this up…I have also had to do these kinds of repairs on our sheets…it really does make me mad because, as you said, while they are not super expensive, they are 100% Egyptian cotton and should last longer! The queen sized sheets on the bed that my husband uses for his afternoon snoozes were from 44 years ago (wedding present) and look practically new!

@Immaculata UGH! My husband does that! He waits until the small repair becomes a big one! Luckily, over the years, he has brought me things before they become a problem…he likes to cut off the sleeves of some long sleeved t-shirts and sweatshirts, but doesn’t get them even! When I even then up, he says they are too short and won’t wear them! Now he brings them to me to cut and hem! MEN! ha ha

3 Likes

I have recently had to replace fitted sheets for both my bed and my son’s bed. I never remember having to replace sheets for wear and tear reasons before. I didn’t even try to mend them because the fabric was so threadbare. I didn’t even think about interfacing! Squirreling away for next time…

4 Likes

I actually used an old pillow case and then zigzagged the heck out of the patch. The wear seems to be mostly where the feet are, so now I turn the sheet the other way and it is mostly under the pillows so as not to be felt…sure is ugly…and I certainly won’t do it for our guest beds, which, should be fine since they are not used as much.

2 Likes

My wear is right in the middle of the sheet? My son caught his feet in the wear and tore his sheet clear down the middle. :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

I’m wondering if part of the faster wear is related to the washer/dryer machines being so much more powerful these days. Plus I expect manufacturers are likely cutting corners but, the dryers are pretty intense.

3 Likes

And everyone wants softer sheets from the start. Those wonderfully soft cotton sheets of my childhood started out rather stiff and coarse. Probably thicker too. And the higher the thread count the thinner the individual thread.

6 Likes

Yes, i have been buying lower thread count for that crisp feel, and they wear a lot better.

4 Likes

Great point…I remember the sheets starting out stiffer and crisp and it was great when they finally reached a nice softness…instant gratification must equal less longevity!

3 Likes

Dryer heat destroys fibers. It’s not practical to line dry everything, I know, but sheets dry on the line in half a day & it saves money in every direction, plus being a bit of practical yoga if you’re mindful about the bending & reaching :wink:

3 Likes

I have been putting my sheets on the clothes line since we moved into our current (old) house 5 yrs ago. The flat sheets still look great, it’s the fitted ones that wear out so quick. And like stated above, it’s in the middle of them. I wash with cold water, use gentle detergent, and have a front loading washer (so no agitation like a top loader). I had not thought about the thread count being a potential culprit. We certainly did not have the high thread count when I was young like we have now.

4 Likes

Yes, it does look like a censor bar. :grinning: I noticed that too.

3 Likes

I can’t tell you all how comforting it is to hear that this is probably not something we’re doing!
I have had a front loading washing machines for 23 years which is pretty gentle and don’t dry very hot (while also hang drying all summer when it isn’t smoky).

@AIMR My inclination was to zig the zag right outta that, but I didn’t think TheMisterT could take the texture.

4 Likes

We do everything “right” , front loader, no dryer, not too high thread count, but the fitted sheets just seem to wear out relatively fast. Especially Mr. Imma’s side. Maybe also because there’s a lot of tension in fitted sheets? They just seem to get smaller after every wash.

3 Likes

How long are everyone’s fitted sheets lasting? We’ve been getting these from Target and have never had a rip or tear after several years and weekly washing and drying on medium. The only time we’ve replaced them was when I wanted different sheet colors.

ETA - my skin is super sensitive so I’m picky about anything that touches my skin, these are nice and soft and not overly warm.

4 Likes

THANKS for the tip! These are really affordable, too! I had done some shopping for just fitted sheets a couple weeks ago and was disappointed by the prices. I think I am going to order a couple of these.

4 Likes