Swap management

So the first 5 swaps are finishing and there are several things I need help with.
I hosted/managed the prayer flag swap and it went well - it was easy.

The problems I face (and they may be because I didn’t take the time to do the entire tutorial for this site back in December/January) - mail/messages management. I can’t see everyone’s teeny tiny avatars so finding specific messages is a pain. I would love to sort my messages into folders so I can keep the swap stuff separate from the other messages I am exchanging.

Finally, do I just add the sent/received info to the Google doc that @kittykill started for the swaps? Do I add any comments? Are we leaning toward having feedback again?

Okay, lots of questions. I’d love for other swap hosts to add their 2-cents.

Thanks all - I’m not criticizing. I’m so happy we have a home. I just need a little guidance.
:grin: :upside_down_face: :laughing:

4 Likes

Great questions. I’ll have to defer your question about sorting messages into folder to @sweets4ever

We are going to have a feedback database at some point. If you wish to add a comment to your swappers, that’s great, but if you don’t, that’s fine too. The only thing I would ask is that you note if anyone sent late and/or had poor communication. That information is so helpful to future organizers.

Glad your swap went well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a question as well. I have both a ‘Little Visitor’ and a ‘Go Bananas’ swap package both due to Lynx2Lancer.

DH is considered an essential worker, but he also has health issues. I really hesitate to ask him to go to the PO and mail the packages because of that.

(No one else in the house has been out.)

Will that be an issue? I’m thinking that the packages can’t be mailed till it’s safer to go out.

Oh, good question. In light of pandemic, perhaps late sends should only be noted in the case of poor communication.

Safety first!! As long as you’re in good communication, a late send shouldn’t count against you.

2 Likes

Even if it extends till when the pandemic and the stay-put orders calm down?

I don’t think anyone should have to worry about their health in order to get a non-essential package mailed. Have you looked into shipping it from home? I believe it’s possible to have the PO pick up packages. I haven’t done so, but I know others have mentioned it. I hope some of them will weigh in here on how that works.

3 Likes

I’ve thought of that but how would I get the postage on it? I have a scale to weigh it.

Some countries are still quarantining their mail so for the people in my swap that have that issue I am allowing a pass for shipping late. They have all their crafts made and boxes packed up but we are waiting for the restrictions to be listed.

For late sending, definitely check in with your organizer and see what you can work out with them. I’m not sure if this is the case for most people but the postman can pick up your package at your house and you can print out a label from your home computer via USPS website. Again, check in and problem solve with your organizer or a swap mod. As @racky said, safety first!

USPS.com - you can print postage. Click the Click and Ship and fill out the boxes. Super easy!

2 Likes

When I had an etsy shop, I could print the postage online. Looks like you have to have an account with them, but if you sign up here, you should be able to send just about anything: http://tinyurl.com/qy8txqz

1 Like

Thank you so much kittykill and racky! When DH comes home I’ll have him order some ink for the printer.

Now I’m wondering why I didn’t think of that… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yep, buying postage online and printing it at home is just about the best thing ever. Once you buy your postage and put it on your package, you can either put your package in the mailbox if it will fit in there, or you can then do a second step on usps.com. You ‘Schedule a Pickup’, and all that does is alert the postal carrier that you have a package they need to grab from you during their regular route. There’s a space in the request to let them know where you’ve put the package (on the porch, to the right, etc.). I believe they make you print a page to leave with the box, that the mail carrier scans as well. But it’s been a while, so they may have done away with that portion.

I’m usually able to put my Etsy orders in my mailbox, but if I have a large swap package going out, or a ton of Etsy stuff at once, I do the Schedule a Pickup, and boom. Done. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes