Sweet potato patties

We made 2 flavour profiles. One with black beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, quinoa flakes. The other with chickpeas, ground walnut, oats, curry , cumin, garam masala.

We also tried a few ways cooking them. Pan-fried thick & thin, baked thick & thin, falafel sized.

Best liked was baked falafel size, they get firmly cooked while still with a dense, moist texture. Either flavour was great & apparently they freeze well either fully or partially cooked

Donโ€™t they look like a batch of cookies? The oats make them smell a bit like cookies too, lol.

The recipe is roughly:
2 cups roasted & mashed sweet potato mixed with
1-1 1/2 cup cooked grain of choice (rice, quinoa, millet, etc)
1 cup roughly mashed beans
Spices - about 1-4 tsp combo of your choice. You can include a handful of fresh chopped cilantro, parsley, dill or other as well.
Salt & pepper to taste
Sprinkle of dried garlic or fresh minced if desired.
Optional is 1/2 nut meal (pulse in blender or food processor or roughly chop).
Last is to sprinkle in oat flakes, or other grain flakes, until the mixture is crumbly but still moist enough to stick together when pressed. Use whole flakes or pulse in a processor to make a rough flour.
Form patties & either fry in a little oil until both sides are golden brown, or bake at 400 dF for 35-40 mins, flipping halfway, until golden brown.

13 Likes

Now that is a nutritional batch of cooking!

1 Like

Okay, I just cooked up 3 large sweet potatoes last night (in the Instant Pot). And, I think I have enough of the other ingredients to make a batch. Guess Iโ€™m firing up the oven tomorrow!

How big is falafel-sized?

1 Like

1-3 inches, however you like! We had them with ketchup, tahini sauce, & plain. I ate mine with salad, the kids had them on bread like burgers. Very versatile.

2 Likes

Ooooh I wanna try these! Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

These look good. Any idea if you can cook them, then freeze and cook from frozen?

1 Like

Yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

1 Like

Yes! Cook until light golden, cool then freeze, bake from frozen 20-30 mins.

Yum! Those flavour profiles both sound fantastic.

1 Like

Yum! All those spices sound like amazing combinations!

1 Like

You can add green onion, cheese, etc. I mashed my fave sounding parts from a few recipes together to make these & they turned out great so you can probably really get creative and still have good success.
Iโ€™m going to try crumbling one over salad, rice, stir-fry etc. Weโ€™re making more vegetarian based meals these days to drastically reduce meat consumption. Iโ€™ll never be completely veggie again as Iโ€™ve skirted a fairly serious nutritional deficiency in the past after several years of veg-vegan diet. I worked in that industry so yes, I did everything โ€œrightโ€, itโ€™s just not an appropriate diet for every body. But in this case less is more so Veggie Patties for the win!

@Magpie These look amazing! Iโ€™ll be giving them a try soon. Thank you for sharing your recipe. :heart:

1 Like

if the border werenโ€™t closedโ€ฆ

THESE LOOK SO GOOD! I CAN PRACTICALLY TASTE THEM!

:plate_with_cutlery:

3 Likes

Hmmmmm - I wonder if Jim will like these - sounds like a great veggie option and I love sweet potatoes. He tolerates them - and obeys the rules of Eat it or Starve.

1 Like

The spices really take over, you canโ€™t taste sweet potato much at all to be honest. Itโ€™s just a background moistener, texture softener. The kids liked them fine and they can be fussy about all the things, taste, textures, the idea of something, lol.

Thanks for sharing these! They look delicious, and I canโ€™t wait to try the recipes. For years I was never good at taking lunches to work or meal prepping anything, but this looks like something that could help me ease into it.

1 Like