Sweet Tamales

Below is the main video I used, to which I modified it based on other videos.

The purple one is rhubarb and blueberry (My rhubarb is about to bite the dust as it’s just been too hot and now the grasshoppers are sheering it. So won’t be usable for much longer).

The lighter colored one is filled with chunks of mango…

By Apollo’s stinky armpits, these are awesome…Heh.

Ingredients:

Masa:
3 C. Masa
1+1/4 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 Tbls. Cornstarch
1 can of A Taste of Thai Coconut Milk (Unsweetened)
About 1+1/2 c. Water

Boil til tender rhubarb and blueberries with one or two tablespoons sugar. (I used about 1 cup of rhubarb and blueberries with about 1/2 cup of water).

Mix in half of the masa mix.

For the mango mix, add about 1/2 cup more water, and toss in about 1/2 inch cubed mango chunks. I used yellow mangos for this one.

Steam for about one hour.

7 Likes

Yum! I was just craving tamales yesterday, but had forgotten about sweet ones!

1 Like

I’ve never tried anything like these. May have to try them! Thanks for the recipe.

1 Like

I had never heard of sweet ones before, but watching Max Miller on youtube, and a Navajo making their version, I just had to give them a try, heh.

Ate three of them this morning while they had been in the fridge overnight, wow…Wow! They are even better chilled. I am definitely going to have to try some different things and see just how far I can push these babies, :smiley: . Ooh, I have a sweet tater…Hmm! Sweet tater pai fill’d t’mahlez (Yeah, don’t try to write a Southern accent, :rofl:)

2 Likes

Mmm…I love eating tamales out but never considered making my own - they seem like so much work! Good job tackling this recipe!

Never had sweet ones before but now I want to add them to my craving list!

They look scrumptious!

Sweet potato and pecans. Man, this one is my favorite so far. (Recipe written here)

Blue corn flour and mango (yeah, I laughed for a good five minutes after opening these, :rofl:). this time I put more cinnamon in the dough, and it’s still good.

I have rhubarb I got from the store in the freezer, so not sure what I’ll do with that yet, and I have plans of making some honey ones, too, but I think I want to put something else with them as well. Not sure, but meh, I am done for the moment and need to relax.

1 Like

Omg yum!