T-shirt Quilts for our sons

I started making a t-shirt quilt for a friend today and it made me think of the two I made for my sons. My mom made me one in this style many years ago and both my boys wanted one when they grew up so I waited until they were 25 and 28 :smiley: Really, I put it off that long because I knew it was going to be a lot of work but when son 2 started hinting he was waiting, I felt I should do them.

In 2016, just 12 days before flying to spend Christmas with son 2, I started and managed to finish with 1 day to spare. Insane for sure as I ended up pulling an all nighter to finish tying it.

Here it is laying on our king size bed

In 2017 I was more reasonable and started the quilt for son 1 in September. I decided to quilt his but, in hindsight, I wish I’d tied it as I like that look better.

21 Likes

I like the way you left some of the pieces T-shirt shaped. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Both are wonderful treasures. I like their uniqueness and the jolts of colors interspersed with the blacks.

1 Like

These are so awesome! I love the style.

2 Likes

I learned this method from my mom … there is a sheet under the t-shirts as backing and the shirts are sewn like a puzzle, some over and some under others and some even 3 layers thick.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize they wore so much black until I started the layout.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a t-shirt quilt like this! I love it!

2 Likes

What she said! :slightly_smiling_face: These are both so great!

2 Likes

I like you used more than just a block out of the tees Great job.

and yes!

2 Likes

Love the unique style, you’re sons are lucky to have such a thoughtful mom.

1 Like

whoa thats such a unique way to do a tshirt quilt!
did you interface/add any stability to the shirts or just let them stretch as is when attaching to the sheet?

1 Like

I didn’t add anything, just pinned each shirt where I wanted it and sewed around the edges. I’m on holidays but when I get home I’ll post a progress shot as it shows better how it went together.

These are super cool!

1 Like

This is a cool take on the tee shirt quilt with keeping the shape of the shirt. It almost looks like shirts are thrown all over the bed, which is fun. Quick question… From someone who has only ever make one quilt, what do you mean by tying it?

Take a look at the first quilt and you can see the yarn knots on each shirt. Instead of sewing the layers together by machine, I used a needle and yarn to make individual stitches and then tied a couple knots to hold it. It’s a more homey look I think.

1 Like

These are so cool. I have been obsessed with t-shirt quilts for years. As someone with a healthy t-shirt obsession, it makes me happy to see all of those memories being preserved! <3

1 Like

I’ve never seen this style before but I love it!

1 Like

My mom made me one like this and I’ve never seen it anywhere else.

1 Like