T-shirt Quilts for our sons

I started making a t-shirt quilt for a friend today and it made me think of the two I made for my sons. My mom made me one in this style many years ago and both my boys wanted one when they grew up so I waited until they were 25 and 28 :smiley: Really, I put it off that long because I knew it was going to be a lot of work but when son 2 started hinting he was waiting, I felt I should do them.

In 2016, just 12 days before flying to spend Christmas with son 2, I started and managed to finish with 1 day to spare. Insane for sure as I ended up pulling an all nighter to finish tying it.

Here it is laying on our king size bed

In 2017 I was more reasonable and started the quilt for son 1 in September. I decided to quilt his but, in hindsight, I wish I’d tied it as I like that look better.

17 Likes

I like the way you left some of the pieces T-shirt shaped. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Both are wonderful treasures. I like their uniqueness and the jolts of colors interspersed with the blacks.

1 Like

These are so awesome! I love the style.

2 Likes

I learned this method from my mom … there is a sheet under the t-shirts as backing and the shirts are sewn like a puzzle, some over and some under others and some even 3 layers thick.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize they wore so much black until I started the layout.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a t-shirt quilt like this! I love it!

2 Likes

What she said! :slightly_smiling_face: These are both so great!

2 Likes

I like you used more than just a block out of the tees Great job.

and yes!

2 Likes

Love the unique style, you’re sons are lucky to have such a thoughtful mom.

1 Like

whoa thats such a unique way to do a tshirt quilt!
did you interface/add any stability to the shirts or just let them stretch as is when attaching to the sheet?

1 Like

I didn’t add anything, just pinned each shirt where I wanted it and sewed around the edges. I’m on holidays but when I get home I’ll post a progress shot as it shows better how it went together.

These are super cool!

1 Like