Teapots are the Worst!

I avoid making teapots like I avoid driving in heavy traffic. I absolutely do not want to do it, but have the ability when needed. (They’re lot of work and components to assemble, and I also have one I use that was made by a local potter, so I just usually don’t deal with them, at least in human size.)

I’m not sure what possessed me to make a teapot this time. I hand-carved an abstract-ish octopus design into it, and I love how the glaze turned out too!

The only thing I don’t love is that the glaze ended up running a bit, which resulted in my having to grind down the bottom, and somewhere in all my cranky chipping and grinding, there ended up being the teeny tiniest crack in the bottom. It doesn’t leak, but liquid does seep through eventually, I think. (I might need to test it again, just to be sure.) So I guess I’m keeping this one.

(If you got this far, many thanks for reading my ramble….)

38 Likes

I love the octopus motif. It’s beautiful!

1 Like

Thanks so much, Becca!

1 Like

This is so cool looking! I’m so sad about the crack. Oof!

1 Like

Oh gosh, totally stunning! @Edel will love this too. I’d still use that for a planter, it’s so great!

1 Like

It’s gorgeous!

1 Like

The leakage is soooo slow, I think I can still use it to make tea myself! (But yes, my backup plan is a planter!)

4 Likes

Oh no! But it would be fabulous with a spider plant in it

3 Likes

I love your octopus but when I first looked at it, I thought of tortuoise shell. Great planter idea. You could wire the lid to the top side so the idea is intact.

1 Like

Trapots may be the worst to make, but your execution is gorgeous!

1 Like

Stunning octopot!

1 Like

It’s really beautiful my friend.

1 Like

This is a beautiful teapot. It would lovely as a display piece. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

It looks fabulous! The tentacle design is wonderful!

1 Like

Teapots are the worst! But this one is the best. It’s beautiful. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Beautiful! I love the shape and proportions of the handle and spout. And of course, the octopus theme. So cool!

1 Like

She’s a beaut! Those tentacles are wow!!

1 Like

Lovely work, phoey on the crack.

1 Like

Such a lovely teapot. That big, swoopy handle looks perfect.

1 Like

So coooool! Shame about the crack but I know if it were me, I’d still use it all the time!

1 Like