Temari the Third

Okay, I believe I’m officially obsessed with temari balls! Here’s my third:

I saw a similar one online and had to try to make it. Of course, I found it’s way above my current skill level! The flowers were particularly hard.

But I’m definitely getting some practice and improving as I go along, so I’m happy. And obsessed. Did I mention I’m obsessed?

This newest one is considerably larger than the other two. Here they are as a group so you can see…

I think I’ll do an easier design next!

19 Likes

Not a bad obsession to have…you can tell your skills are improving…this one is gorgeous…each on is unique…I bet there are thousands of patterns so you might have a lifelong obsession going…

Nice to have different sizes…soon you will have a whole basket of them…

2 Likes

This one is beautiful !!

Your talent is definitely increasing with each new one and I can’t wait to see them even more intricate.

1 Like

Completely gorgeous and well worth the effort!

1 Like

Did you make this ball (the center) the same as you made the one you posted for the challenge? Also, they are all so different! I can see why you’re obsessed! I really like this new one. It’s my favorite so far–even if it is a bit above your skill level.

Keep 'em coming!

1 Like

Oh wow! My favorite yet!

“Above my skill level” - I don’t think these words mean what you think they mean. You rocked it!!!

2 Likes

This one is especially gorgeous! Love the colors and texture.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! @Lynx, the center of this one is made of fabric and thread scraps, mainly from my “Happy Buntings” project. Maybe a couple of dryer sheets also. I had a harder time making a perfectly round ball from the fabric scraps, which is why the ball is larger. It just wanted to be lumpy!

1 Like

This is my favorite so far. I love the colors.

1 Like

But now it is right in your skill set! Beautiful. What a fun obsession.

I know it’s not traditional, but I found that styrofoam balls were a great starting point. You can also cut them in 1/2 and hollow out a place for a bell. I’m rather lazy when it comes to the basis for a craft. :blush:

Your color choices are beautiful.

2 Likes

It’s super pretty!

1 Like

Thanks!

@marionberries, how do you cut them in half without making a total mess?

I’m thinking you’d still need to wrap them with quite a bit of thread, because you wouldn’t want to be stitching into styrofoam, right?

Beautiful!

1 Like

Not making a mess??? I always make a mess. :upside_down_face:

Try a sharp thin knife, serrated works well and saw slowly and carefully. Do it over newspaper so you can wrap it up and throw the crumbs away. I wonder if anti-static dryer sheets would keep the styrofoam bits from clinging everywhere? I would think a layer or two of yarn, then thread ,would be enough to stitch into. You aren’t really going that deep or need to anchor anything heavy. And the balls are lighter, which is nice if you are using them as ornaments. It’s another option, especially if you are “making round things round” impaired or “it always turns out lumpy” prone.
But then making your own balls is a great stash buster.

2 Likes

They look round to me…did you use any special tools to make this one or just more complex measuring?

1 Like

Just more complex measurements, @AIMR. You divide the ball into tenths in one direction to make vertical slices and then into 6ths horizontally. Next time, I’ll do things differently so that the pentagons are all perfectly subdivided with the centers in the exact center… a lot of them came out off-center this time and I’m not sure why.

Thanks for the tips, @marionberries!

1 Like

WHAT sorcery is this? :flushed: :heart_eyes: I have absolutely no idea how to create these, but I.must.learn.

1 Like

Wow, so much coverage in this pattern! It looks very complex and I think you did a wonderful job with it.

1 Like

I can definitely see myself getting veeeeerrrrry frustrated over these someday in the future. :laughing: Looks like your skill level bumped on up. :+1:

1 Like