The Diminutive Lepidopterist

Hi!
Haven’t been as active here or with my art as I would like. Stuff happening & I’m feeling burnt out. Trying to get back into regular creativity.

IMG_20200714_104056 SM

I’m pretty pleased with this little guy. Had an awful time trying to get his photo. All the best places to set him were down by my feet and I can’t kneel because of injured knees. Most of the time I was taking photos “blind” and just hoping!

30 Likes

Oh my gosh. He is so adorable. That little expression is just the sweetest! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Thank you!!
It’s always interesting to me to see how these creatures develop individual characters even though I approach them all in basically the same way.

1 Like

So stinking cute! I love his little content smile.

1 Like

Thank you!!
After chasing that butterfly for so long, he’s happy to finally catch it!

1 Like

Your creations are all SO adorable! How do you come up with the ideas for them? I love how each one seems to come with an entire story or activity! :slight_smile: This little guy just makes me happy!! XD

1 Like

Absolutely precious!

1 Like

Where’s the leopard? I only see an adorable mouse intent on catching butterflies.
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I think a book of your little critters and their stories is needed!!!

1 Like

Thank you!! I have a folder full of cute animal illustrations and a bunch of beautifully illustrated children’s books that are often the source of inspiration. That’s usually where I start. Once I get the basic body together and start sculpting they tend to start directing themselves.
Meant to give this guy some tiny whiskers. May have to go back and do that.

2 Likes

Thank you!!
I’ve been trying to work just with what I have on hand. Really wish I had had some invisible thread for a couple of things. :wink:

1 Like

Leopards are well known for their ability to hide in plain sight!
:wink:

2 Likes

That would be kewl if there were someone to write their stories! :wink:

1 Like

They’re still unpacking the other project that is still “in the works”.

8 Likes

Adorable! I love the last photo you posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!
I’m trying to create a couple of dioramas in which to photography them when conditions outside aren’t good. Still working on filling up the shelves. The creatures are pretty fussy about what they want. :wink:

2 Likes

What a little sweetheart!

1 Like

The shelves are cute, but kind of distract from the figure.
Just sayin’

I’m in awe. He is so cute. His little face just makes me want to pinch his cheeks. I love that you added so much of a story to him with the props and action. You’re a master at needle felting!

2 Likes

Books…and edibles…just sayin’ :grin:

2 Likes