The Frog Prince

In the recent IYP swap I created this Frog Prince watercolor for @jemimah. I floundered for a while on what to make because Kirsten is such an amazing artist and her watercolor skills are frankly intimidating. But watercolor is my current love so I dove in anyway.

The sketch was originally just a regular frog but my inner niffler demanded he have a gold crown. My plan was to use goldfoil on the crown but I was so afraid of messing up the finished piece that I chickened out. Instead I mixed gold mica powder with paper medium and applied it as a paste. I didn’t have any gold ink on hand, alas, and wanted something more substantial and opaque than mettalic watercolor.

Here’s a shot trying to show the gold of the crown:

Obligatory in-process pic:

Reference pic for the water lily.

23 Likes

He’s so beautiful, I love him!! :green_heart: :frog: :crown: Mr jemimah adores him too! He’s the perfect subject for me.

I’ve always had a soft spot for our green friends (when I was a teenager, my nickname for several years was Frog lol). Funnily enough, there is currently a fat frog living in our swimming pool, he’s been there for a couple of weeks (the pool isn’t green, but clearly not chemical-y enough to deter him). I’m making friends with him while I figure out how to catch him and transport him to a reserve here that has a lovely lake with plenty of waterlilies.

Thanks again for swapping with me Jenn!

5 Likes

Completely wonderful, I adore this wee frog monarch. Amazing.

3 Likes

He’s awesome!

2 Likes

This is delightful! No wonder it was a hit!

3 Likes

I love the fact that you’ve made friends with the frog in your swimming pool and hope you are able to rehome him to the water lily pond! Every frog deserves a good water lily pond.

I’m so glad we got to swap and that you & Mr. Jemimah liked the Frog Prince piece I sent.

1 Like

Thank you, @Magpie, @endymion, and @TheMistressT!

2 Likes

He’s so cute! I love the crown and how appropriate that Jemimah has a new froggy friend just now!

1 Like

This is incredible. It completely intimidates me, and I don’t even use watercolors! It’s epic-ly amazing. I adore everything about this little guy. You really made him so mystical and enchanting. The crown is the perfect touch.

1 Like

Man, that background is just delicious!

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi - thank you!

@gozer - thank you! He was fun to make.

@Abbeeroad - thank you!

1 Like

:sparkles: :heart_eyes: :scissors: Congratulations! Your awesome Frog Prince painting is a Featured Project this week! :scissors: :heart_eyes: :sparkles:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Congrats on the well deserved feature!

This painting is fantastic! Frogs (and especially frog princes) have a special place in my heart so when I saw this I was enamored.
I was doubly impressed by your very creative idea to mix up a sparkly paint for the crown. I get what you mean about not wanting to mess it up with the gold foil… it’s not the most predictable of mediums.

Well done!

1 Like

Thank you!

Have you worked with gold foil before? One of these days I’ll get brave and use the precious foil I have in my stash. Just not today :joy:.