The Good Stuff Nested Baskets with Pattern

These baskets were inspired by a previous round of the Use the Good Stuff Swap with @jemimah. I wrote out a pattern for the Small, Medium, and Large versions at the time, even though I only had enough yarn for Small and Large. Since then I received a few skeins of the same yarns, in different colors from my Darn Good Yarn subscription boxes, so I decided to clean up the pattern, and add an Extra Large size as well. For this set I had just 2 skeins of the Twist yarn, so I made the Med, Large, and Ex Large baskets, with a little left over. If you wish to make all 4 baskets, you would need 1 more ball of each yarn. I love these yarns because they are made from silk waste, that would otherwise end up in a landfill; they are Fair Trade and provide safe work to women in India & Nepal; and most of all they are beautiful and great to work with.

Use The Good Stuff Baskets

You Will Need: (To make any 3)
2 balls Darn Good Twist Worsted Weight Silk Yarn in Pink Lemonade
3 balls Darn Good Yarn Speckled Tweed Recycled Silk in Oceanic Blues
6 mm crochet hook
Tapestry needle
Scissors

Stitches Used:
Magic Circle
Single Crochet (sc)
Alternating Spike Stitch (al sp st)
Slip Stitch (sl st)

SMALL BASKET (not shown)
Round 1: Start with the Oceanic Blue, and make a Magic Circle. Crochet 6 sc st, then tighten the tail of the Magic Circle. Join with a sl st in top of first sc. (6 sc)

Round 2: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, 2 sc in remaining sts. (12 sc)

Round 3: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in next st. Repeat until end of round. (18 sc)

Round 4: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 2 st. Repeat until end of round. (24 sc)

Round 5: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 3 st. Repeat until end of round. (30 sc)

Row 6: Change to Pink Lemonade (without cutting previous yarn - the spike stitches and the abundance of colors in the yarns help hide the jog between rows). Single crochet in back loop only to start the sides. (30 sc)

Row 7: Change to Oceanic Blue (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch. (30 al sp st)

Row 8: Change to Pink Lemonade (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch. (30 al sp st)

Row 9-17: Continue doing rounds of alternating spike stitch, changing colors without cutting yarn, in each row. You will end with Oceanic Blue. (30 al sp st)

Row 18: Still with Oceanic Blue, slip stitch in each stitch around to give the basket a sturdy edge. (30 sl st)

Finish off, weave in ends.

MEDIUM BASKET (smallest basket in photo)
Round 1: Start with the Oceanic Blue, and make a Magic Circle. Crochet 6 sc st, then tighten the tail of the Magic Circle. Join with a sl st in top of first sc. (6 sc)

Round 3: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in next st. Repeat until end of round. (18 sc)

Round 4: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 2 st. Repeat until end of round. (24 sc)

Round 5: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 3 st. Repeat until end of round. (30 sc)

Round 6: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 4 st. Repeat until end of round. (36 sc)

Row 7: Change to Pink Lemonade (without cutting previous yarn - the spike stitches and the abundance of colors in the yarns help hide the jog between rows). Single crochet in back loop only to start the sides. (36 sc)

Row 8: Change to Oceanic Blue (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch. (36 al sp st)

Row 9: Change to Pink Lemonade (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch. (36 al sp st)

Row 10-20: Continue doing rounds of alternating spike stitch, changing colors without cutting yarn, in each row. You will end with Oceanic Blue. (36 al sp st)

Row 21: Still with Oceanic Blue, slip stitch in each stitch around to give the basket a sturdy edge. (36 sl st)

LARGE BASKET

Round 6: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 4 st. Repeat until end of round. (36 sc)

Round 7: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 5 st. Repeat until end of round. (42 sc)

Row 8: Change to Pink Lemonade (without cutting previous yarn - the spike stitches and the abundance of colors in the yarns help hide the jog between rows). Single crochet in back loop only to start the sides. (42 sc)

Row 9: Change to Oceanic Blue (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch. (42 al sp st)

Row 10: Change to Pink Lemonade (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch, in which you will sc in the top of previous spikes, and spike in the top of previous sc. (42 al sp st)

Row 11-23: Continue doing rounds of alternating spike stitch, changing colors without cutting yarn, in each row. You will end with Oceanic Blue. (42 al sp st)

Row 24: Still with Oceanic Blue, slip stitch in each stitch around to give the basket a sturdy edge. (42 sl st)

EXTRA LARGE BASKET (largest basket shown)

Round 7: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 5 st. Repeat until end of round. (42 sc)

Round 8: Ch 1. 2 sc in same st, sc in each of the next 6 st. Repeat until end of round. (48 sc)

Row 9: Change to Pink Lemonade. Single crochet in back loop only to start the sides. (48 sc)

Row 10: Change to Oceanic Blue (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch. (48 al sp st)

Row 11: Change to Pink Lemonade (without cutting previous yarn); do a row of alternating spike stitch. (48 al sp st)

Rows 12-26: Continue doing rounds of alternating spike stitch, changing colors without cutting yarn, in each row. You will end with Oceanic Blue. (48 al sp st)

Row 27: Still with Oceanic Blue, slip stitch in each stitch around to give the basket a sturdy edge. (48 sl st)

16 Likes

Those colors are so great together. I really like the texture too.

2 Likes

These are marvellous, and thank you for sharing your pattern!! The baskets you made for me are holding various art bits and pieces on my main creative shelves, and used and admired all the time :heart:

2 Likes

If I was stuff, Iā€™d want to be stored in these cheery baskets, please!

2 Likes

The pattern is fantastic. Textured and interesting to look at. Fabu!

2 Likes

What an awesome trio! And your own pattern, too! :star_struck:

2 Likes