The Husband Sweater

It only took me five months (so many interrupting projects!), but I finally finished the sweater for DH.

The pattern is the Men’s Classic Raglan Pullover by Jane Richmond, and it was pretty easy, even for a beginner. DH picked the yarn color, Bittersweet, in KnitPick’s Wool of the Andes, which is a brown so dark that it’s practically black. I always shied away from really dark yarns with crochet, but they’re not so bad with knitting.

I didn’t swatch for this sweater - living on the edge over here! But, it fits great.

Unblocked:

Just waiting for it to dry…

19 Likes

Good for you! It looks great!
I have been procrastinating a sweater for my kid. This post is so motivating.

1 Like

That looks so amazing, my gosh I’m impressed.

1 Like

Thanks!!!

@AntBee - you should go for it! Kids’ sweaters are small and go fast.

1 Like

Looks great!

1 Like

Looks amazing, and I hope he gets a lot of use out of it. Five months? It should include a “Made with Love” tag!

2 Likes

That’s a great, classic sweater! Just a little different with the raglan sleeve for a nice subtle detail.

1 Like

I may have a “you better use this” tag around here somewhere. :joy:

I love raglan construction - no sewing!

1 Like

Looks great! I love the color and agree that crocheting with dark yarn is much more difficult than knitting with it. Is the Wool of the Andes more of a scratchy, rustic yarn?

1 Like

Rustic, yes. Scratchy is kind of subjective, I would say ‘yes, sort of.’ But, it’s been washed and isn’t completely dry yet, so I’ll hold off on trying to judge just how scratchy it is. It’s softer than some wools I’ve worked with, for sure, and not as soft as others.

This looks like such a nice cozy sweater! I’m glad it fits well - that’d be a lot of work for it not to fit! I am in awe that you managed to create this from a ball of yarn!

2 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like

Thanks!

I figured…if it’s too small, I get it! I did measure the circumference once I divided for the sleeves, and had him try it on as I made the body. I had a lifeline at the divide too, so I could always frog it back and make it bigger if necessary. Plus, I measured my gauge as soon as I had a few inches, so I knew I was close enough. So many people made this pattern and rated it well (I read so many notes!) that I had a good feel for it. I did the women’s version of this last year, which is basically the same sweater.

2 Likes

That turned out great! Love your color choice, it’ll be a classic piece I’m sure

1 Like

This is another skill I wish I had. You did a beautiful job!

1 Like

Thank you!

I found my labels! I have three different ones, but they’re delightful… “one of a kind,” “you better use this,” and “this took forever.” :joy:

3 Likes

I love these label choices!

2 Likes

The labels - any of them would be so perfect!

1 Like

This is just wonderful! Classic style, classic color. I love it.

I have a similar pattern on my list (for me)…it’s supposed to me my resolution this year…I’m trying to be motivated by your awesome, completed project… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes