The Liberty Tote bag

I bought a shirt 10 years ago at a thrift shop near my office. It was a custom made dress shirt made from a lovely Liberty of London cotton print.

The shirt, sadly, no longer fit me. It sat in my stash for many, many years because 1) I love the pattern but didn’t want to “ruin” it. 2) could never decide what to do since it wasn’t big enough to wear.

In a “use up the good stuff” or “stop being a :baby: and cut it already” mania, I made a tote bag. It still has the button placket on the front to pay homage to its past life. Used some wonder under to give it body, which I hope will stop krinkling as soon as it gets washed again.

ETA - handle inspiration was this video → 三角パッチワークで作るA4トートバッグ ハギレ活用 - YouTube

28 Likes

It’s a really lovely print, I can see how you fell in love with it & didn’t want to give it up. It will surely make you happy every time you use the bag.

2 Likes

Yep! I was thinking much the same thing!

1 Like

How wonderful!

2 Likes

It makes an amazing tote bag! And I love that you kept the button placket!

2 Likes

Nice! I’m so happy you’ll get a chance to enjoy the print now, instead of it being hidden in stash. Including the button placket was genius!

2 Likes

great idea, lovely bag!

I have a hawaiian shirt that I never wear, but can’t let go of the fabric. Maybe a tote is in its future.

3 Likes

:thread: :sun_with_face: :handbag: Your awesome upcycled craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :handbag: :sun_with_face: :thread:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Tote in action!

That is a gallon jug of cow juice!

11 Likes

Changing it into something practical was a great idea!

2 Likes

It really is a great fabric. What a cool thing you had the skill to make it useful. I love it!

2 Likes

I love these kind of projects! It’s really pretty!
I’m glad you finally gave in and did something with it!

2 Likes

It’s awesome!
Great upcycling project!

2 Likes

Great use for a fabric that you love. This way you can see it more often! Also, love the way you did those handles!

1 Like

Inspired by Hanako Handicraft on you tube!

1 Like

I love this project because it allowed you to take something you like and turn it into something that will bring you joy whenever you use it!

1 Like

I just figured put why its still making krinkling sounds!! I didn’t take the backing layer off the wunderunder!!

1 Like

added a link to the post for handle inspiration → https://youtu.be/UT-dG4SE3fs

1 Like