The Little Mermaid (as told by Hans)

In my printmaking class we had to design and create an intaglio print based on a fairy tale of our choice. I’ve loved the story of the Little Mermaid, since the Disney movie came out, but shortly after that, my grandma bootlegged another Little Mermaid movie that told the actual story, unknown to her. It was a little shocking at a young age, but it really made me love the story even more. ANYWAY- I spent some time designing the print for class and I wanted it to reflect the agony and pain she went through just to get those legs (that also hurt her when she walked/danced). In the original story, when she drank the potion it felt like a hot blade is cutting through her tail. I tried my best to capture it…

WELL, after I designed it for the intaglio print, I decided I wanted to make it my usual way as well, with my bold lines and bright watercolors and the crayola texture. I really loved how it came out in color.

BELOW is the print, with another print for the project also done in class…

and here are some progress pictures!!!

This is the design on tracing paper. I use tracing paper a lot when I’m designing.

12 Likes

This is so striking. While the scene this depicts is quite intense, the qualities of your signature style make it a little easier to look at… at least at first. You’ve really captured the pain without making it ultra gory.

2 Likes

This is the version of the story I grew up with. Pain, suffering, and betrayal.
Honestly, I was glad the Disney version had the ending I had longed for.

Lovely print, true to the original.

4 Likes

I also remember a much darker version of this as a child. The pain of her becoming human was quite intense but as a child, I remember my parents playing it as a sacrifice for something you really wanted.

I like your art work…definitely for adults, though!

2 Likes

Was her name Merina? Cas that’s the version I had as a kid.
Your print is fantastic. I love the way you added the stray hair. It really balances out the piece.

2 Likes

She has such depth of emotion in her eyes…
Very intense!

1 Like

Incredible.
These were always my favourite versions of old stories. They were meant to be dark, frightening cautionary tales. You did a beautiful job of capturing her agony and sorrow.
She washed away to nothingness in foamy ocean waves at the end… a tragedy.

3 Likes

I certainly remember a darker version of Hansel & Gretel and many others as well…I remember sitting on the library floor reading these stories…probably why I enjoy murder mystery books now…lol

2 Likes

This perfectly represents your style. Bright, cartoony, and bubbly, but also dark and deep with meaning. Love that duality.

3 Likes

Yes. This is perfectly said.

1 Like

I don’t remember the name, but it was a really bad live action version of the story.

In the original print, I didn’t feel like it needed the hair strand (even tho I designed it with one) but it really needed something to balance out the artwork in the painting. Thank you!!

1 Like

Thank you! I like trying to combine dark with cute. I also like symbolism. :slight_smile:

1 Like