The Little Purr-maid

Another 4x4 painting. Watercolor, ink, and colored pencil. My shadows are all over the place, but overall I’m pretty happy with this one. The mixed media paper I’m using (pic of the pad below) is fine for gouache, but, as I discovered today, not great for watercolor.

The tail has the most gorgeous iridescent shimmer that is sadly lost in pictures.

Progress pics:

The paper I used:

12 Likes

She’s purr-fect!

2 Likes

Awww… so cute! Is this going in the STS?

2 Likes

Thank you! She is STS bound :smile:.

2 Likes

Hah! Thank you!

1 Like

Adorable! The water looks amazing as do her eyes!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Swimmy-cat! Very cute.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing the process pics. You did a great job on the water and it’s neat to see how it started out. You really managed to capture a lot of shadow and depth on the cat face/body! Seriously, the way you highlighted certain areas under the fur - it all comes together to create an impressive outcome!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve watched a couple turorials on capturing water with watercolors and they helped a ton. I couldn’t quite do the technique I wanted to because the paper is meh so I had to fudge the water reflections with watered down white ink. The fur…is not my finest moment. I laughed myself silly yesterday because I saw one of those YES/NO pins on pinterest about how to paint fur and my attempt was EXACTLY like the No image. But that’s why I keep trying, every painting will hopefully get a bit better.

3 Likes

That’s funny, because I was admiring the fur and thought it was well done! If that fur is a ‘No,’ I look forward to seeing the ‘Yes!’

1 Like

Eeep! This is so cute!!