Thing-A-Day February 2021 Craftalong

Those look awesome!

Haha…Mustgo soup.

Love the fairy dust!! Bet it was a hit with the kiddos.

3 Likes

I defrosted my freezer today! Last time I did that was April/May so it really had to happen. And it’s cold enough today to store my frozen goods outside for a while.

I found some frozen puff pastry that had been in there for way too long, so I defrosted that to make apple turnovers. I used home-canned apple pieces in syrup for the filling. That was the last jar in the pantry, I need to make more next summer. Mr Imma is always amazed by the secret stashes I have squirreled away in the house. He’s very creative in his own way, and he’s a pretty decent cook, but he doesn’t realy get that with a small supply of basics you can make almost all food you could potentially crave. When he opens the pantry he just sees jars and not dozens of potential snacks.

I also cut fabric for the handles of a tote bag I’m working on, found back a magazine full of sock patterns that I had been looking for for months (turns out it was in the embroidery box instead of the knitting box) and started a sampler.

5 Likes

I can’t see meals in packaged or frozen foods either…my husband can see a box of noodles and a package of ground beef and come up with a hundred meals…I can follow one recipe at a time which is why I am the one who cooks our food delivery meals three times a week. You and others have a marvelous skill…I am learning, though…and I do try recipes shared here, especially if not fancy ingredients are needed.

2 Likes

I basically spent my whole childhood watching older women in the kitchen and helping them out - my mum, my grandma, my two ‘spinster’ greataunts at the family farm. My family never had much money and they all lived through rationing but we always ate like kings. I guess I just do what I always saw them doing. And it helps that I really enjoy cooking. But I think it can definitely be learned by trying many different recipes and trying to remember the combinations of ingredients.

2 Likes

I went off to college not knowing how to cook, do laundry, drive and many other things…I envy your close knit family…

2 Likes

We (meaning the girls) frosted (some of) the cookies we made yesterday:

I wasn’t interested in learning about cooking, etc. until I moved out of my mom’s house. If I was forced to help I thought it was a chore. Now I love trying to be creative with food. But sometimes I just need a quick and easy meal, too.

10 Likes

I love the exuberance and imagination of your girls…they say kids bring out the kid in us, and I think that is so true…purple cookies…love them!

3 Likes

Sunday with snow and mauve sky. Must find a color pencil in that pale mauve color.

Long brush bought thinking is short and dark grey somber, embellished with washi tapes.
Looks cheerful now.

Cardmaking cut out with scissors little tiles 1/2 cm from floral cardstock scrapbook.com plain pinks and greens. Added edge of tiny tiles to a basic square ivory card from stash of years ago.Filled in grout to mosaics with gold acrylic paint. Left a square blank for sentiment.

To the Spring junk journal added these tiny tiles to edge of a few pages in it and gold paint. Looked up some leftover bits from my crafts area, glued into journal. Added some quotes. Found thick bakers twine green/white was from a package from Japan 2 years ago. Re-using that to tie up journal.When I find the big focal bead will add to string.
Made more journaling cards to put in it.

Bit of coloring of a fairy dress in pink. Turquoise shoes.

Fussy cut vintage roses free printable finally found it but light faded early… so wait to cut it out day with better day light.

Re-fill Happy home spray with orange/lavendel essential oils & boiled cooled off water.

Decoupage 3 empty matchboxes and glue stacked together.

Baked puff pastry with salmon & dill, 2" squares.

4 Likes

7th Feb

Well, didn’t finish anything currently in progress, but did bake some pretzel bites. First time making pretzels, so went with an easy option to start with - no shaping required :rofl:

They taste so good!

15 Likes

Mmmm. They look profesh and so tasty!

3 Likes

Well, we were close knit, you have to be in the countryside where everybody relies on each other, but we weren’t particularly close. It was very much a world where men ruled and women served. My sweet aunts were unmarried because their agressive brothers scared away any suitors…

I still haven’t learned to drive a car but when I was that age I could sew and mend clothing, butcher a chicken, get any stains out of my laundry and cook all our traditional food… but I hadn’t seen anything of the world. We’d have Chinese takeout a few times a year and that’s the most exotic food I knew. I never minded helping out, I enjoyed being in the kitchen and hearing all the stories.

When I was graduating highschool a lot of things happened at the same time, my parents divorced, the Great Recession cost my family the farm and my parents’ house, and I decided to move to the city and leave everything behind me. My (maternal) grandma and my mum supported me but my father’s family disowned me. At that point everyone I was close to in that family had passed away anyway so it wasn’t a big loss. I met one of my closest friends in the city but she has a similar background and grew up not far from me. We always joke we’re going to buy a homestead together and retire there! Who knows, it may still happen.

@seeuudee those look soooooo good :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

They look yummy. Now I want a pretzel, but I’ll have to settle for a frozen one.

2 Likes

Last night I finished an ATC, so my thing for the day wasn’t just biscuits (although seriously. the biscuits were good). I’m glad to have finished some art, though! I’m gonna make some more ATCs today. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I made things.

A pouch from fabric I dyed and printed.

I also made a challah, which is making the house smell amazing.i also made things for two lovely people here, but no spoilers.

And I made 12 economy quilt blocks.

13 Likes

That pouch is beautiful!

1 Like

Love the bee pouch!

I managed to finish two more hearts and used up almost all of my DGY yarn before I receive the next shipment! Made three hearts total for RAK…started a fourth heart and ran out of yarn, so I frogged it and made tassels for future use. The little pile is all I have left of scraps!

11 Likes

I started my Pumpkin Bear patch (instead of a scarf!) as part of Operation Use Up Yarn today. It didn’t use much yarn, but sure is cute! More will be coming!

8 Likes

I made three things today. Yay!

The middle ATC features a stamp of Hana Kvapilová who I read a little about on good ol’ Wikipedia

9 Likes

Beautiful use of the stamps as a focal point! These are really pretty.

Here’s my Mustgo Stew from yesterday! Not the most photogenic meal, but I tried. It has onions, black beans, tomato puree, swiss chard (all from the farm where I work) and lots of spices, served with mixed grains and sour cream.

And today’s thing, decorating the monthly landing page of my workbook. I went with a washi tape bonanza that covers the writing bleed-through from the other sides, and one vintage illustration.

9 Likes

Day 7: Made a Singles Awareness Day ATC. I’ll try to get a better photo tomorrow in daylight.

And here’s a bonus sneak peek of a piece I started today for the 4x6 Art Swap - R3, though it may end up being for me because I’m really liking it :laughing:.

8 Likes