Thing-A-Day February 2021 Craftalong

I prepped some postage stamps for crafting and I made a tutorial :sunglasses:

6 Likes

This made me think of a swap I took part in years ago, called Jar of Hearts. You could have up to 6 partners and could choose to swap one or two small hearts, with the end goal of filling a jar with crafted hearts :smiley:

5 Likes

10th Feb

Not a particularly crafty day, did a bit more on my cross stitch and made a chicken, mushroom and garlic pasta sauce from scratch, so counting that as a win

3 Likes

I was in that one too! Or one of them if there were multiples? So man years ago but I still have my hearts :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I am thinking of crocheting hearts with some red yarn I have, but I’m not there yet.

1 Like

Chocolate banana bread today:

Followed this recipe.

@seeuudee: I made a mushroom chicken garlic dinner too! I used this recipe that my mom recommended. I just took it out of the oven and it smells so good!

7 Likes

The girl wanted chocolate cake but she didn’t want to bake it with me when I offered. Silly girl!
We were already in the kitchen making onigiri rice balls for dinner. No photos, they were gobbled up! We did 3 fillings, diced BBQ pork (from left over take out), ground beef with Worcester sauce & gr onion, minced sesame ginger tofu. We make our own furikaki from toasted whole & ground sesame seeds & coarse sea salt to sprinkle on them.

5 Likes

Oohh I would like to see a recipe for those, they sound yum

1 Like

We did read a couple but then ended up making our own. It’s basically salted sticky rice squished around filling. Easy & messy good fun, lol. You should have seen one kid’s face though, omg, like we were torturing him with dinner.

1 Like

Wow! Sounds amazing!

1 Like

You can do little rice balls, work with cooled sticky rice, squish a bit in your hand & make a divot with thumb, fill with tasty stuff, squish closed, roll a little to pack & smooth out circle shape. If too sticky, wet your hands but only a little or the rice falls apart! Roll in sesame seeds or crushed whatever, it helps reduce stickiness & keep shape. You could fill with pb&j if you mixed them together & added something like crushed peanuts or pretzels, coconut, chopped dried fruit to firm it up a bit. Bet your kids would love eating those!

1 Like

I have had cold fingers all week from the cold. So I decided to make some mittens since I am terrible about having proper winter gear. These are pretty thin. But I really just wanted something between my hands and my steering wheel. They are very soft. It’s part of a blanket panel I got in a mystery pack from (I think) Moon Bean Textiles. It wasn’t a panel I would ever use as a blanket so I decided to use some for the mittens.

5 Likes

Day 10: Made brownies that I’m too lazy to photograph.

2 Likes

I admit that I snagged the mushroom garlic chicken recipe…and then got lost in the internet and found a bread recipe that looks pretty simple…is it too late to bake bread at night? Yeah, I will wait until morning since you have to let it rise and sit and such…“now” does not happen with bread…oh well

2 Likes

Oooh, that looks good, will pin that for another day :smiley:

2 Likes

Have you tried no knead bread? I usually do it the night before then it’s ready to bake in the morning. It’s good, and easy.

2 Likes

Jacques Pepin has the easiest no-knead bread recipe I’ve ever seen. His dough is wet like soup & he cooks it in a non-stick pot. My mom sent me a video the other day & Rob & I couldn’t believe what we were watching! We don’t own any non-stick but it should work in a spring form pan I think.

1 Like

I’ll check that out… I’m on a search for a good wholemeal version. Our favourite add ins are fresh rosemary and dried cranberries.

It’s snowing here (we don’t get much so this is exciting) it’s definitely a bread making/sewing kind of a day.

1 Like

Just googled that, I think I will try it today! It looks really easy and I have a cast iron Dutch oven. I only have white flour, I need to buy new bread flour but there’s way too much snow for a bike ride to the local mill.

@Edel yay, now you guys have snow as well! Enjoy!

1 Like

Report if it works in the dutchie, we have an enameled oval but its far from non-stick I’m afraid. More like extra stick, lol!

1 Like