Three Little Woven Ornaments

I made these little weavings for holiday gifts this year. I even tried a new stitch - the soumak! They were really fun and quick to make!

I’m hoping to get a larger project going this year. Any suggestions to finish the top a bit cleaner?

13 Likes

Those are so cute!
I tried to pick up weaving but it didn’t stick. But seeing things like this makes me want to give it another go.

1 Like

They look like little dancing girls! So sweet!

1 Like

They do! Haha…great eye. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love these just the way they are! I want to make something like that with some very special yarn I got from the LettuceCraft ebay sale and also from the October meet-up in Maryland.

2 Likes

These are cute! (They do look like dancers!)

What is it that your eye is questioning? I think they look great as they are to this outside eye, but if something is calling to you we could help brainstorm.

I’m not crazy about seeing the white strings up top, but I guess most weavings have that…Wonder if I could paint the section between the edge strings white and it would help hide them?

ah, got it.
Painting the wood white would work, alternatively could you stain the threads without it bleeding into the weaving? then you could stain the cross piece and the strings. What about making it a real pain in the a** and stringing seed beads or something along the front of the strings? (If it isn’t obvious, I have never done any weaving so this may be a ridiculous suggestion)

Or wrap a thin leather cord/ribbon across the cross piece along with the strings to blend them in?

1 Like

They are so pretty! If you aren’t satisfied with the top strings showing, I’m sure you’ll figure out a way to make them more beautiful than they already are.

1 Like

I love the mini weaving, but adore your color story more.

:metal:

1 Like

Oooo…I like this! And would give it some extra texture. I might try this next time! Thanks!

You’re right - seed beads sounds like a pain, haha…pretty, but a pain.

2 Likes

Ooh, is the soumak the one that looks like a horizontal braid? Very very cool! :smiley:

1 Like

You could use a warp that isn’t white that you could use as a statement if you like or that might blend more.

2 Likes

Ooh, they are so cool! How about threading a yarn you really like on a blunt needle and wrapping the top stick with it? Or stitching over a little scrappy fabric covering, sort of like the scrappy fabric beads with embroidery and/or beading added?

1 Like

Now every time I read this title, I see “Three Little Women.” :rofl:

1 Like

These are so darling!

1 Like

That’s the one!

I should totally play with the color of the warp!

I LOVE these ideas!

Thank you friends. :smile:

I adore weaving even if I haven’t done it in forever, and the colours you used is really pretty, so natural :smiley:

1 Like

They are darling! I also saw a trio of people when I first saw the thumbnail picture.

1 Like

Very cool @Abbeeroad. I’m so happy you posted these. Seeing your work always inspires me to try my hand at this.

1 Like