Thyme After Thyme Shawl

When I saw this beautiful upcycled silk yarn from Darn Good Yarn on clearance last year during their Black Friday Sale, I knew it had to be made into something for my dear friend @Abbeeroad. I picked up 4 skeins of it, for an absolute steal. I believe it was on sale for $4 per skein, and I used up some Karma Points to get it for closer to $3 each.

Of course it sat in my stash for several months until I got around to finally deciding on a pattern and getting to work. I wanted to create something pretty but not fussy, with some fine detail work, but not anything that she’d be afraid to wear day to day with mess-making little ones around. I settled on the Thyme After Thyme Shawl pattern by Lisa Cook. The directions were nice and clear, but even better was the fact it came with a diagram! It was so fast and easy to work off the diagram instead of the written directions. While the pattern maker is in the UK, it did come in US terms, as well as options for Dutch, German & Swedish.

I love the bands of lacy shells, alternated with solid rows, and double crochet net rows.

The whole piece is finished with a border on two sides of the triangle, and a row of sc along the top edge for stability. I decided to add just a hint of subtle bling with seed beads in the final round of the border, inside each little picot. They are a pewter grey glass, that hopefully highlights the grey in the yarn. (You may have to click on the picture below to even see them, as they blend in so well.) I wanted the whole thing to be a nice backdrop with Abbeeroad’s neutral clothing palette, which so nicely sets off her awesome (and bright) handmade jewelry like her clothesline necklaces.

And here I am wrapped up in it. It was so soft. And because it’s silk, it’s lightweight and breathable, while still being warm and comforting.

Hopefully it will give Abbee years of comfortable wear!

21 Likes

You nailed me, lady! I love it!! The yarn is so soft and light and delicate yet clearly durable. Years of wear for certain. :black_heart:

3 Likes

That’s so pretty! And so versatile!

1 Like

Gorgeous shawl!

1 Like

Love it and so spot-on “Abbie”!

1 Like

This looks beautiful!

1 Like

I love the functionality, but you are right…there is plenty of beautiful details and stitching…just gorgeous!

It has found a good home…

1 Like

Stunning work! I love everything about this.

1 Like

Beautiful and so soft-looking. This will become a favorite I am sure.

1 Like

That yarn looks amazing, and the shawl even more so!

1 Like

Beautiful shawl. The colors and design are so feminine and delicate.

2 Likes

:bomb: Boomdiggity! Your awesome project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :boom:

1 Like

Thank you MistressT!

So pretty! It looks so delicate!

1 Like

Gorgeous and snuggly looking. I’m sure she’s going to treasure it!

1 Like

Gorgeous, fancy stitches & neutral shades for the win!

1 Like