Tips and Tricks for New Users

Yes!! Post your projects!

1 Like

Yep :slightly_smiling_face:

Your projects only get seen by those participating in the swaps or craftalongs for the most part of you don’t post in the community. By sharing in the community, more people get to see your wonderful projects :heart:

4 Likes

I used to bookmark all of the craftalongs because I knew I was going to miss so much!!

Please please cross post to an awaiting audience! Some of the most wonderful things come out of the games and challenges from the craftalongs!

3 Likes

Yes! And at least from the other site, when life got busy, the parts of the site I looked at less often were the craftalongs/games, and stayed mostly at swaps or featured items. If you post your stuff, I’ll be more apt to see it!

1 Like

@sweets4ever tell me the best way to crosspost images, without repeated uploading=increased server costs?

2 Likes

I’ve linked one post to another like I did here. I’ve also gone and “edited” a post so I can read the image code and then pasted it to the new post. Is there an easier way to get the image code than that?

1 Like

So sorry I haven’t gotten this tip posted yet! In the future, I will code this to be easier. For now, what I do is…

– Type my reply in place A (Craftalong, for example) with an uploaded photo. Copy the photo code.
– Head over to place B (Home Decor, for example), start my project post & paste the photo code.

If you forget to copy it, edit like BBM mentioned, does the trick, too!

6 Likes

Or if you totally forget and upload it twice, it is what it is. No worries. I really do appreciate you asking and trying for the best practice! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Erm… How do I copy the photo code?

copy and paste

Sorry to be dense, but where do I find the photo code. Is it the entire string that starts with !

Yes! It’ll look like without the space after the ! and the space between the 500](upload which I had to show so you could see the code.

! [20200109_132819%5B1%5D|507x500] (upload://rzDfDscIz1em3VW8bIsE6N6LuMd.jpeg)
I decided to jump in on @AIMR’s [“Use Those Fabric Scraps”]

2 Likes

Great, thank you. I’ll do that from now on.

3 Likes

Whoops, I just realized that the code actually ends at .jpeg)
Sorry!

1 Like

How do I turn off emails?? I cannot access the site at work so I get tons of emails all day about posts here and I unfortunate can’t find actual emails I really need to a action. It’s too much!! I set preferences a couple days ago but doesn’t seem to end them!
Also there’s no timeline on the side of my posts so how do I just come I. To the last read? I have to scroll through hundreds of posts and it seems to differ how I enter though a link in one of the emails or the site itself but scrolling to try and get to post 244 if I go to far I’m in a totally new string and can’t figure out what anyone’s discussing

I really want to enjoy the site but right now I just can’t keep up or find anything. I’m a computer, electrical and material engineer so it’s not really all a user issue :frowning:

I just want my little community back

3 Likes

email settings are under profile–> preferences–> emails

I’ve turned off everything except PMs, and it helped tremendously.

2 Likes

Change your setting, “only when away” to “never.” Is it possible you didn’t click Save Changes at the bottom of that screen the other day?

There are a few ways to access threads, depending entirely on personal preference.

Selecting a title from the topic list will always take you to your last read post in the topic. To enter at the top or bottom, instead select the reply count or last reply date.

If you click your Avatar to see notifications, and select a notification, it will take you to directly to the point in the thread from where the notification emerged.

If you are viewing a list of topics (Latest, Unread, Top, etc.):

Little blue dot = brand new to you topic
Big blue dot with number in it = how many new replies since you last visited (if you are watching or tracking a thread)
Grey thread title = you have read every post in a thread and there are no new posts at this time
Black thread title = you have read the thread previously, but you are not Watching or Tracking it, so it will not it’s not updating you on new replies

You can mouse over icons on the site and most will tell you their function as well.

3 Likes

I had the same issue, all the lovely emails! Would love to keep them but the filter that was supposed to archive them in the folder automatically wouldn’t work, so i had to turn off email, sadly

1 Like

@Bugaboo and @imera This happened to me too at first. But I figured out that when I first joined, the setting was to watch every thread I responded to. So even though I changed the setting in the preferences, I was still watching all those threads and getting email notifications. The solution is to go to those individual threads you don’t want all the emails from and change it from ‘watching’ to either ‘tracking’ or ‘normal’. You can do this either at the end of the thread where you reply (the blue circle with the exclamation mark in it) or under the (I don’t know what it is officially called) slider thing on the right side that shows you were you are in the post. At the bottom of that you will also find the button to toggle from watching to a different choice. :slight_smile:

also… in Preferences, Notifications for “When I post in a topic, set that topic to” change that from “watching” to either normal or tracking. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good stuff!! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like