Totally outrageous, probably-never-happen quilt idea

So I found a patchwork book at my mum’s, likely via my gran’s at some stage. It had this beauty in it.

It looks like a One Block Wonder, but it is hexies!

Whilst trying to sleep last night I was thinking of projects (as we do) and we have a second doona that we bought from Ikea (thinking we were buying a heavier winter one, but realised we bought the weight we had for summer. :woman_facepalming: So I was thinking of using it as a quilt batting for this beautiful idea. Would that work?

9 Likes

Just… WOW.

3 Likes

Isn’t is just? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

That quilt is spectacular! And I’m an enabler…. doooo iiiiiitttt…!

3 Likes

Gorgeous! I love the look of hexies!

Using blankets as batting for other blankets is a time tested tradition! Before modern batting manufacturing, most was made by hand, so once a quilt wore out they would just stuff it inside a new one, rather than reprocess the cotton/wool. Worn out or moth eaten woven wool blankets also made frequent appearance as batting, as did just lots of layers of old clothes, like the less artistic version of Kantha.

3 Likes

Thanks! It seems to be just large-square quilted batting/filling of some kind so its not as flat as the batting I have used before (or a blanket), its a bit fluffier, but it is reasonably flat. If I did this, I would probably need to send out to a long arm quilter, so I guess I’d have to check with them too.

2 Likes

The hexagon quilt is stunning! Since I always look to the easiest route, my first thought was to make the quilt as a cover with standard batting, then put the doona inside, which might make it warm enough for winter use. I have something similar from Ikea and it would a pain to quilt it, the stuffing would be uneven and lumpy. But then, my quilting is very limited, so in experienced hands, it might turn out just perfect.

2 Likes