Tote Bag with Extra Long Straps!

I’ve been in the market for a new tote bag that will fit my cross stitch and has long straps.

So today, instead of cleaning, I made myself a new tote. :blush:

I didn’t have a pattern, so I just kinda winged it. The only part I would change is the interior pockets. I’ll know better for next time.

I didn’t have enough gray fabric for the straps so I ended up using a thick felt, backed with more of the liner fabric.

And the felt definitely wasn’t long enough so I sewed two pieces together for each of them.

The part I’m MOST excited about though, is these crisp, boxed corners. I’ve always struggled with these.

I came across a new way of doing it where you cut a square out of the corner before you squish the two sides together and it made ALL the difference. Now I won’t shy away from boxed corners anymore!

Thanks for looking!

20 Likes

It turned out wonderful…and exactly as you need it to be!

I made little cardboard templates to cut out those pesky corners. It lets me line up everything a lot easier and also lets me know immediately how boxy the bag will be. Saves a bit of time as well with not having to measure after you have messed with getting the seams together .

Love grey and yellow together…lovely work! Good to see you back in action!

3 Likes

Alex! Hi! So nice to see you :blush:. Your bag looks fabulous, nice work.

1 Like

This is wonderful… great fabric choices!

1 Like

Those are some really crisp corners! Great bag with really nice looking prints!

2 Likes

this is wonderful! and cleaning is overrated, IMO :smiley:

3 Likes

love the colours and especially the inside lining

1 Like

Yellow & gray is such a pretty color combination. (I’m biased because yellow is my favorite color.)
:yellow_heart:
Your boxy corners and your strap solution both look sharp.

2 Likes

I love tote bags with long handles so you can put them over a winter coat or if they get full to the brim have more room for expansion. :slight_smile: I love the cheery yellow of this too. It’s amazing!

3 Likes

I bet you’ll get a ton of use out of this bag! Love the felt straps.

1 Like

Great to see you! Your bag is fabulous - stylish and beautifully made!

1 Like

Such a pretty bag! Perfect fabric choices, too! There’s nothing like making something you’re pleased with!

2 Likes

@kayrun Yes! Overrated indeed!

1 Like

What a nice bag! Functional and fashionable! I like the color combo and those felt straps give the bag an air of coziness.

1 Like