Travel Accessories for a Man

A while ago, my friend @LadybugsAndBees asked if I could make something from fabric that was given by a dear friend to her son. Of course, I said yes. I did some research and finally came up with a sort of modern travel bag and pouch. The outer fabric are from men’s suit jackets.

Of course, life got busy and weird for me and I sort of forgot about everything. When I moved, I left a lot of things at my brother’s house. He has been mailing me back some of the items. Guess what showed up? So, thanks for being patient, dear Barbara…I will be sending these to you tomorrow!

The inside lining is the fabric she sent me…I used iron on vinyl in the pouch to make it more waterproof for things like soap, toothbrushes, etc.

22 Likes

Those look very sturdy and useful for the person it’s going to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find it very difficult to find things to sew for a guy…but the inside fabric was so cool and other than a pocket hanky, I had no idea what to do with it!

3 Likes

I totally get it; I never know what to make for my bf that he’ll really use.

3 Likes

Those are so nice! Very classy!

2 Likes

It looks like you really rose to the challenge to make something cool and functional! I’m so glad these treasures weren’t lost in all your life changes. I’m sure Barbara is very excited to get these!

2 Likes

What a great idea to use men’s suit jackets for the outer fabrics. And, it’s so nice that you were able to incorporate the special fabric, too. I’m sure they’ll be much appreciated and well worth the wait!

2 Likes

Very manly!

2 Likes

@AIMR it’s really great of you to make these. Any man would be proud to own and use these pouches. The fabrics are wonderful and I especially like the weaves of the suitings.

1 Like

Thank you! Now that both my husband and I are retired, neither one of us need suits for work (we both previously worked in jobs where we had to wear them!). The styles are out of date but the fabrics are great…most are wool and a few of them are silk tweed.

I gave many away but kept some of the more interesting fabrics. Just don’t quite know what to make from them, but I have been looking around. I will be using some in my purse project for the long term stitchalong hosted by @kittykill!

3 Likes

Thank you so much, AIMR! I’ll be seeing him this weekend, so I’ll include them in with his Valentine’s Day goodies…he’ll be so surprised!

2 Likes

Those are simply amazing! How sweet to turn something old into something so functional.

2 Likes

Very suitable for a man!

Yeah, it is kind of hard to sew for a man, especially if you love sweet and cute like me!
Your choice of pattern and fabric are great! Not girly or sweet, just awesome and cool!! :+1:t3:

1 Like

These are so classy and sophisticated!

2 Likes

Yep, definitely something I’d use. Love the inside lining fabric. M

3 Likes

Well @wendiek I think there’s a bit of a misunderstanding among women craftsters that all fabric used for men’s accessories should be a dark brown or metalic grey, or a smart ocean blue or something. Hit me in the face if I’m mistaken…
I would happily use a travel bag, like AIMR’s one, in a merry daffodil fabric with a deep purple lining!

2 Likes

I think we allow “fashion” to severely limit men in particular. It is changing somewhat as I have seen men wearing a lot more colorful shirts and socks than in previous decades. Kudos to the men who are not slaves to fashion or the “norm”…why not have a happy print? I think my husband would like a bag like that with kittens on it…he loves kittens!

2 Likes

Quite right. I was in a men’s clothing store recently and it took me about 16 seconds to realize I wasn’t going to find anything to my taste. All drab colors, dark tones, gloomy designs. I bet there are loads of men wanting to wear a shirt with a bold print or a cheerful design but there just aren’t that many available.

I find shirts for my DH at vintage stores…I think this one was less than $5! He wears them when he plays drums or we go to festivals…

2 Likes

@AIMR
I once made bags and other accessories out of what I then called ‘Recycled Grandfather Jackets’. (No grandfathers were hurt in the process.)
I washed the fabrics at high temps, so they would shrink a little and get more sturdy.

3 Likes